1. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 21:40
    Originally posted by @lemon-lime
    Your presumption of stupidity is hilarious.

The ball is the same, the position of the ball is not the same.
    You are clearly assuming I don't (or can't) understand the difference. It is this presumption of stupidity I'm calling hilarious.
    And clearly another dimension is required to distinguish the two states of the ball.

Where are you claiming a presumption of stupidity exists? (other than in your own made up conversation in which I did not actually take part).
  2. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 22:04
    Originally posted by @twhitehead
    And clearly another dimension is required to distinguish the two states of the ball.

Where are you claiming a presumption of stupidity exists? (other than in your own made up conversation in which I did not actually take part).
    So let me get this straight, is it your contention that you did not participate in my little satire? And you continue to insist the fictional dialogue between the two of us never actually happened? You had no part in any of this?

Good, because I'm not about to share credit with the likes of you.
    Take credit for your own work!
  3. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 22:07
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    If the shoe fits...
    ... the other should fit as well.
  4. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 03:14
    Originally posted by @christopher-albon
    ****XXX abstract that!
    Uhmm... 43?
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 05:53
    Past tense, present tense, future tense.

If the past does not exist... ?
    ( It did exist, but it presently does not exist )

When I look around I'm not looking into the past. The bug that died yesterday still appears to be dead today... no matter how many times I turn my head to look, I never see the living bug that was there the day before yesterda ...[text shortened]... effect, cause effect, etc etc ------>

and so forth and so on ------------------------------>
    Past tense, present tense, future tense I understand. But met tense? Never heard of it. Never mind...

So you say that the universe from yesterday don't exist today? And the universe tomorrow doesn't exist yet? Is this what you mean? Can you prove that? Scientifically? Or is it just your philosophical opinion?

And because of this opinion of yours you say that there is no time dimension? The famous four-dimensional space-time continuum is all false? Three spatial dimensions is all what the universe needs in order to exist?
  6. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 06:232 edits
    Originally posted by @fabianfnas
    Past tense, present tense, future tense I understand. But met tense? Never heard of it. Never mind...

So you say that the universe from yesterday don't exist today? And the universe tomorrow doesn't exist yet? Is this what you mean? Can you prove that? Scientifically? Or is it just your philosophical opinion?

And because of this opinion of yours yo ...[text shortened]... ntinuum is all false? Three spatial dimensions is all what the universe needs in order to exist?

I'm assuming "met tense?" is an abbreviated way of asking "are you familiar with the meaning of tense?" The full quote: "Your questions, have you never met tense?"

Yes, yes, yes, maybe, don't know, and I don't have a philosophical opinion.

And because of this opinion of yours you say that there is no time dimension? The famous four-dimensional space-time continuum is all false? Three spatial dimensions is all what the universe needs in order to exist?

It seems you've reached the edge of the pier and kept on walking.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 07:55
    Good, because I'm not about to share credit with the likes of you.
    I would hope so.
    Next time, don't attribute it to me.
  8. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 16:271 edit
    I would hope so.
    You would do well in taking your own advice.

If you're not sure what this means, google the phrase "you would do well in taking your own advice".
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 20:041 edit
    [b]Past tense, present tense, future tense I understand. But met tense? Never heard of it. Never mind...

I'm assuming "met tense?" is an abbreviated way of asking "are you familiar with the meaning of tense?" The full quote: "Your questions, have you never met tense?"

So you say that the universe from yesterday don't exist today? And the uni ...[text shortened]... eeds in order to exist?

It seems you've reached the edge of the pier and kept on walking.[/b]
    "met tense"
    Thank you for the English lesson. I still have some more to learn.

You see the universe as a floating 'now' progressing forward in time.
    But this *is* the time dimension. If everything progresses at the same speed, that would be one thing, but it isn't. Time dilation contradicts this. The only thing we cannot do is to move back in time. Yet. Perhaps it is possible, perhaps not, perhaps we figure out some way. In the future.

But has this anything to do with the existence/lack of a time dimension?
    You deny the time dimension as real. Most scientists don't.
  10. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    26 Jul '17 00:131 edit
    "met tense"
    Thank you for the English lesson. I still have some more to learn.

You see the universe as a floating 'now' progressing forward in time.
    But this *is* the time dimension. If everything progresses at the same speed, that would be one thing, but it isn't. Time dilation contradicts this. The only thing we cannot do is to move back in time. ...[text shortened]... existence/lack of a time dimension?
    You deny the time dimension as real. Most scientists don't.
    I don't deny time is a dimension in the sense that it's real, but both time and space are intangible realities. By that I mean space relies on tangle 3D objects for defining and making the presence of space known, and time relies on both space and tangible reality (3D objects) for motion to exist.

Remove time, and it should be physically possible for both space and tangible reality to exist. However, if you remove space (all of it) time could not exist... because there would be no movement.
    I'm not sure what the remaining physical reality might be (or look like) if space left town and took his buddy 'time' with him...
    Maybe a singularity? I don't know.

imo time travel isn't science fiction, it's science fantasy. It's fun to think about (I like the idea) and for a while I was a Dr Who fan. But even if it was possible to start a journey back in time, you wouldn't be able to back up for as long as one or two seconds. All the forces involved in holding you together would kick into reverse and you would quickly dissolve into the surrounding space.

By the way, this is only within the realm of science 'thought', not fact. In other words, I'm not presenting any of this as science 'fact'...

( that should keep the buzzards at bay for a while )
  11. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    26 Jul '17 03:224 edits
    I would hope so.
    If you stop attributing your own add-ons to what I'm saying, I will do you the same courtesy.

I said nothing about an object passing through a temporal dimension until you assumed I didn't understand what a temporal dimension was. You attributed your add-on to me, and then proceeded to argue against what was essentially your own add on.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Jul '17 06:32
    I don't deny time is a dimension in the sense that it's real, but both time and space are intangible realities. By that I mean space relies on tangle 3D objects for defining and making the presence of space known, and time relies on both space and tangible reality (3D objects) for motion to exist.

Remove time, and it should be physically possib ...[text shortened]... any of this as science 'fact'...

( that should keep the buzzards at bay for a while )
    Space and time has different properties. We shouldn't treat them as alike.

I cannot think about space without time, but I cannot think about time without space either. But where do I have the scientific foundation to that?
    Perhaps there are plenty of universes out there with any combination of time dimensions (zero, one, or more) and space dimensions (zero, one, three or whatever) where the inhabitants (if possible) cannot understand any other combination that can exist.
    This has nothing to do with current science either. Pure speculations, nothing more.

If space dimensions and time dimension(s) are two *classes of dimensions* - are there more classes of dimensions as well? Again - pure speculations.
  13. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    26 Jul '17 06:584 edits
    Perhaps there are plenty of universes out there with any combination of time dimensions (zero, one, or more) and space dimensions (zero, one, three or whatever) where the inhabitants (if possible) cannot understand any other combination that can exist.
    I bet if we ever traveled to a universe with, say, 4 dimensions for time and 6 dimensions for space, we will be seriously confused.
    The display on your wrist watch made in that universe would be horrendously complex because it would show 4-dimensional time. You would be hoping nobody asks you what would be a simple question in OUR universe of "what is the time?". And as for navigation; lets not go there.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Jul '17 07:18
    You would do well in taking your own advice.

If you're not sure what this means, google the phrase "you would do well in taking your own advice".
    I know what it means, but it doesn't apply.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Jul '17 07:20
    If you stop attributing your own add-ons to what I'm saying, I will do you the same courtesy.
    Provide evidence that I have attributed my own add-ons to what you are saying, or admit you just made that up.

I said nothing about an object passing through a temporal dimension until you assumed I didn't understand what a temporal dimension was. You attributed your add-on to me,...
    Quote me doing so.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree