1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Dec '16 18:31
    http://www.zmescience.com/science/curiosity-discovery-life-mars-23112012/

This should have happened by now, announcement supposed to be out by Dec. 7, Wednesday. Now friday. Anyone hear of this?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Dec '16 20:44
    If its secret, how do you know about it?
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    09 Dec '16 21:484 edits
    many people only assumed that they may have discovered life but, for all we know, perhaps what they have discovered and will announce has nothing to do with that. For all we know, they have discovered a huge mystery on Mars, such as somebody's mobile phone still switched on and currently ringing and next to a bloody great big exact replica of the statue of liberty; -Theories?
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Dec '16 06:35
    Originally posted by humy
    Theories?
    That story was from 2012. It was probably water or something they found.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Dec '16 14:29
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    That story was from 2012. It was probably water or something they found.
    Yep, 2012. I'm slipping🙂 The date was not very distinct on that page. So, no surprise announcement then. If there was to be one they would have had a conference days ago.
  6. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 09:00
    Oh good, water. We will build an outpost. Does anyone see a future other than earth-apes populating their solar system and then spreading around the galaxy like a cancer? Consuming resources and polluting their beds and killing everything in the way?

I think I'm depressive.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 10:43
    Originally posted by apathist
    Oh good, water. We will build an outpost. Does anyone see a future other than earth-apes populating their solar system and then spreading around the galaxy like a cancer? Consuming resources and polluting their beds and killing everything in the way?

I think I'm depressive.
    1. Cancer is not such a bad thing from the cancers perspective.
    2. No, I do not see a future that doesn't include that, but to suggest that that sums it up is incorrect. That's like saying you will grow old and die is an accurate description of your life. Its true, but incomplete.
    3. Resources are there to be consumed. Or they wouldn't be called resources. As for killing, we don't know of any life outside of earth, so killing is unlikely at this stage.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 10:44
    I think I'm depressive.
    If you are serious then consult a doctor. Depression is treatable.
  9. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 13:381 edit
    It'll pass. Cyclical, Your three points only confirm my angst.

um, offer your completion. Explain the good side.
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 13:52
    Originally posted by twhitehead...
    3. Resources are there to be consumed....
    The way we work that out:

3) most of us miss out

2) some of us work like slaves

1) a few get mega-rich

is this sustainable
  11. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 14:06
    You didn't mention the polluting your beds part. oh, tw, i really don't feel good about us.

we should divorce

see? my upbeat humor is coming back
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 16:03
    The way we work that out:

3) most of us miss out

2) some of us work like slaves

1) a few get mega-rich

is this sustainable
    One of the reasons for getting off the planet is this: 66 million years ago dinosaurs got their day ruined pretty much forever, but a combination of really bad things on Earth, volcano's up the kazzoo the likes of which humans have never seen before and that big asteroid that hit in the Yucatan, the chicxulub asteroid, left a hole in the ground over 200 Km diameter and they have found deposits from that strike, 700 feet deep on BURMUDA.

So think about that one. If humans want to survive something like that they dam well BETTER be off the planet when that happens.

If some big asteroid comes barreling in fast we have ZERO way of stopping it right now. A hundred years from now, we have cities on the moon, colonies on Mars self sustaining, Earth gets whacked, humans still live.

Maybe that is not an important thing in YOUR life but I kind of like humans, most of them anyway, bad seeds everywhere. But no god is coming down to fix our boo boo's so we better be able to fix stuff ourselves and one way of at least keeping humanity alive is to get the hell off this dangerous planet.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 16:45
    It'll pass. Cyclical,
    Still treatable.

Your three points only confirm my angst.
    Why?

um, offer your completion. Explain the good side.
    What was the bad side? Spreading out through the solar system using resources to build ever better computer games sounds like fun to me.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 16:491 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So think about that one. If humans want to survive something like that they dam well BETTER be off the planet when that happens.

If some big asteroid comes barreling in fast we have ZERO way of stopping it right now. A hundred years from now, we have cities on the moon, colonies on Mars self sustaining, Earth gets whacked, humans still live.
    Actually no.
    It would be far far easier and cheaper to build asteroid surviving sustainable habitats right here on earth than on the moon or mars.
    I actually think humans would survive even a dinosaur killing size asteroid. Just not very many of us.
  15. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 20:27
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    One of the reasons for getting off the planet is this: ...
    all true

But why? Life is good?

hey, did you see those caps? Life is good! The drama is the point.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree