1. Joined
    08 Sep '06
    Moves
    27 Apr '17 14:28
    In many ways cells communicate the way human communicate with each other. Define the following forms of human communication by classifying them as pararine, endocrine and/or synaptic signaling:

A telephone conversation

Talking to people at a cocktail party

a radio announcement

talking to oneself
  2. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Apr '17 16:24
    Originally posted by wormer
    In many ways cells communicate the way human communicate with each other. Define the following forms of human communication by classifying them as pararine, endocrine and/or synaptic signaling:

A telephone conversation

a radio announcement

talking to oneself
    Are these exam questions?
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Apr '17 20:51
    Originally posted by wildgrass
    Are these exam questions?
    These are obviously homework questions...I must say wildgrass you are doing a great job at answering them. Too bad for this poster is learning absolutely nothing. Wormer: You could at least try to ask about the parts you are not understanding, as oposed to just outright asking the entire question as posed. I mean come'on...
  4. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    28 Apr '17 09:34

A telephone conversation

a radio announcement

talking to oneself
    a cell produces a signal to induce changes in nearby cells
    paracrine factors diffuse over a relatively short distance (local action)
    endocrine factors (hormones which travel considerably longer distances via the circulatory system)
    a synapse[1] is a structure that permits a neuron (or nerve cell) to pass an electrical or chemical signal to another neuron

So! Self-talk, people-talk, phone-talk, radio-speak. Synaptic, paracrine, endocrine, and then we need another babble word? I don't see how any of this is useful. 🙁
  5. Joined
    08 Sep '06
    Moves
    28 Apr '17 13:42
    Originally posted by apathist
    a cell produces a signal to induce changes in nearby cells
    paracrine factors diffuse over a relatively short distance (local action)
    endocrine factors (hormones which travel considerably longer distances via the circulatory system)
    a synapse[1] is a structure that permits a neuron (or nerve cell) to pass an electrical or chemical signal to another neuron ...[text shortened]... ine, endocrine, and then we need another babble word? I don't see how any of this is useful. 🙁
    thanks you for the explination. I forghot that autocrine was an option as well. It all makes sense now
  6. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    28 Apr '17 17:16
    ... autocrine was an option as well. ...
    denoting a mode of hormone action in which a hormone binds to receptors on and affects the function of the same cell that produced it.

Yes, all is clear now.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree