1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 Jul '17 18:02
    [hidden]https://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2017/05/secret-mars-base-found-google-maps.html[/hiiden]
    Only because they're assured we're going to make it there AND have the wherewithal to colonize it--- just like we did with the moon, presumably--- Google and NASA teamed up to insert images of the Mars base onto the planet's surface.
    Of course, it's just an April Fool's Day joke that was neither posted on April 1, nor made public so everyone could have a laugh, but it's comforting to know they can make it look so real so far in advance of anything, you know, actually being there.
    Thankfully, they did 'keep it real,' so to speak: as proof that it really, really is pictures of Mars' surface, you can zoom in and see those tire tracks from the vehicle we landed there.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jul '17 20:553 edits
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [hidden]https://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2017/05/secret-mars-base-found-google-maps.html[/hiiden]
    Only because they're assured we're going to make it there AND have the wherewithal to colonize it--- just like we did with the moon, presumably--- Google and NASA teamed up to insert images of the Mars base onto the planet's surface.
    Of course, it's ...[text shortened]... es of Mars' surface, you can zoom in and see those tire tracks from the vehicle we landed there.
    Continuing to make a fool of yourself. I guess you can't help it. Does taking meds help keep up the vast multicultural international conspiracy to hide us from knowing about the Flatassers living amonst us? I guess you are an evangelical, hoping to get converts to your traitorous trolling of total tirades. The four T's of your mantra. You don't have to answer, since I know you won't anyway, but I know full well you will read this and start grinding your jaws with hatred or would it just be pity that I am so duped as to think Earth is roundish? If you don't know the word, that is a rhetorical question. You don't have to answer.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Jul '17 21:372 edits
    Of course, it's just an April Fool's Day joke that was neither posted on April 1, nor made public.....
    So it was posted and not made public? Hows that work?
    Oh, and NASA had nothing whatsoever to do with it.

As for the tire tracks, they have been there in that image since it was first captured in 2014.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 Jul '17 23:20
    Originally posted by twhitehead

As for the tire tracks, they have been there in that image since it was first captured in 2014.
    Gee, I don't know.
    How do organizations usually announce April Fool's Day pranks?
    I wonder...

And you claim this on what basis?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 06:36
    Gee, I don't know.
    How do organizations usually announce April Fool's Day pranks?
    I wonder...
    The make them public. You claimed it was NOT made public.

And you claim this on what basis?
    Common sense. There was zero need for their involvement. Some guy at Google had the bright idea, downloaded the image, photo-shopped in a moon base then added it to Google Maps. Why would they call NASA? You might as well suggest they asked the Chinese government to help too, AND North Korea. Or maybe ISIS?
    Seriously, Photoshop is not that difficult to use.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 12:06

[b]And you claim this on what basis?

Common sense. There was zero need for their involvement. Some guy at Google had the bright idea, downloaded the image, photo-shopped in a moon base then added it to Google Maps. Why would they call NASA? You might as well suggest they asked the Chinese ...[text shortened]... to help too, AND North Korea. Or maybe ISIS?
    Seriously, Photoshop is not that difficult to use.[/b]
    It wasn't announced, presented, or etc., by Anyone.
    Pranks are put forth with some type of broadcast; not likely this was intended to be a prank since nothing was said.

Common sense. There was zero need for their involvement. Some guy at Google had the bright idea, downloaded the image, photo-shopped in a moon base then added it to Google Maps. Why would they call NASA? You might as well suggest they asked the Chinese government to help too, AND North Korea. Or maybe ISIS?
    Seriously, Photoshop is not that difficult to use.

The images came from NASA.
    Public domain, with one caveat, according to the HiRise website:
    We do ask for a credit line where possible:
    Image: NASA/JPL/University of Arizona

...which is just common sense.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 13:13
    It wasn't announced, presented, or etc., by Anyone.
    Pranks are put forth with some type of broadcast; not likely this was intended to be a prank since nothing was said.
    Make up your mind.
    Either Google produced a post about it, or they didn't. (Hint: they did).

The images came from NASA.
    I am fully aware of that. But the photoshopping was done by Google.

We do ask for a credit line where possible:
    Image: NASA/JPL/University of Arizona

...which is just common sense.

Again, I am aware of that.
    That doesn't change the fact that NASA had nothing whatsoever to do with the April fools prank other than being the source of the images.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 13:31
    Make up your mind.
    Either Google produced a post about it, or they didn't. (Hint: they did).

[b]The images came from NASA.

I am fully aware of that. But the photoshopping was done by Google.

[quote]We do ask for a credit line where possible:
    Image: NASA/JPL/University o ...[text shortened]... d nothing whatsoever to do with the April fools prank other than being the source of the images.
    Post the link.

And NASA had nothing to do with it besides making it possible.
    Check.

Good ol' common sense.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 14:14
    Post the link.
    https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2017/03/Google-Cloud-Platform-expands-to-Mars.html

Posted on March 31st. And as I believe you discovered recently, dates on the internet do not always respect time zones, so it is entirely possible it was posted on April 1st in the time zone of the poster.

And what do you think of the guy at the datacentre with an alien on his screen?
    https://www.google.com/maps/space/mars/@-4.5642381,137.3905441,3a,28.7y,281.86h,84.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sijq6gMjZ-8sAAAQ3uBGN-A!2e0!7i5376!8i2688

And NASA had nothing to do with it besides making it possible.
    Check.

Good ol' common sense.

So this:
    "Google and NASA teamed up to insert images of the Mars base onto the planet's surface."
    Was clearly an incorrect characterisation of what happened.

Someone at Google got creative for April Fools. That is all.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 15:111 edit
    https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2017/03/Google-Cloud-Platform-expands-to-Mars.html

Posted on March 31st. And as I believe you discovered recently, dates on the internet do not always respect time zones, so it is entirely possible it was posted on April 1st in the time zone of the poster.

And what do you think of the guy at the datacentre with a ...[text shortened]... aracterisation of what happened.

Someone at Google got creative for April Fools. That is all.
    One thing funny in that image, the tops of the buildings have what are suspiciously like airconditioning units, the big squares and rectangles dotting the roofs. Don't think they would work well at mars atmosphere, what, 5 Torr or something?
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 16:34
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    One thing funny in that image, the tops of the buildings have what are suspiciously like airconditioning units, the big squares and rectangles dotting the roofs. Don't think they would work well at mars atmosphere, what, 5 Torr or something?
    It is a server farm so needs cooling. But I believe you are correct that even if they need to vent gasses, there is no need for fan blades.
    I guess water cooling via surrounding cold rocks is probably a better solution, or using the generated heat internally to keep the human habitation warm.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Jul '17 11:491 edit
    Originally posted by @twhitehead
    It is a server farm so needs cooling. But I believe you are correct that even if they need to vent gasses, there is no need for fan blades.
    I guess water cooling via surrounding cold rocks is probably a better solution, or using the generated heat internally to keep the human habitation warm.
    It is way below zero there anyway so some kind of radiation cooling would be used, just water flow into flat black radiators and enough surface area to conduct the BTU's or Kcal, to cool the machines inside. But there would be no fans since they would be like trying to move air like on Earth 30,000 meters high. It is possible, they have already made drones that will fly in Mars level of atmosphere, tested in vacuum chambers here on Earth but it for sure would not be as efficient watt for watt as the same kind of fan running one Earth atmosphere.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree