1. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Apr '17 13:31
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Seems we would still need the grid because of industrial use of electricity goes way beyond that of homes, megawatts and more.
    Yes, we need a grid for industry as much of their power will come from hydro, wind and maybe nuclear (although I would like to see that phased out). But the grid doesn't need to extend to residential areas except for street lights and other small stuff. So the question is who pays for it. If most homes are on solar, they will not want to pay for the grid. This leaves local governments, instead of making a profit off the grid, now having to pay for the grid themselves. They do not like that scenario.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Apr '17 14:32
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Yes, we need a grid for industry as much of their power will come from hydro, wind and maybe nuclear (although I would like to see that phased out). But the grid doesn't need to extend to residential areas except for street lights and other small stuff. So the question is who pays for it. If most homes are on solar, they will not want to pay for the grid. ...[text shortened]... profit off the grid, now having to pay for the grid themselves. They do not like that scenario.
    I suspect the resolution of that conundrum will be local grids, say one city or town on its own local grid beholding to no corporation. Nuclear is here to stay, that is a given. And with the newer technologies, thorium for instance, will be expanded on in the future if that newer technology can be perfected. Till we get fusion going, inertial or magnetic, may the best tech win. I imagine fusion won't come on line economically till around 2060. But by then there may be several technologies viable. NASA is already funding research into fusion rockets, I hope that pans out for propulsion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree