1. Brooklyn
    Moves
    08 Dec '16 19:25
    Has any one ever tried to figure out the exact possible amount of moves for a chess game following the 50 rule?

I heard there are 3 billion possible board set ups at move four.
  2. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    09 Dec '16 19:14
    Originally posted by yelrambob
    Has any one ever tried to figure out the exact possible amount of moves for a chess game following the 50 rule?

The number of available moves will change after each move depending on variables like number of pieces on the board,number of unoccupied squares and legal moves possible so I don't see how it's possible to work out the exact number of moves available in an entire game as each game will be different.
    On a similar note I read somewhere that the number of moves in the board game "Go" was greater than the number of atoms in the universe, so you're probably talking 10^3 billion!!
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 22:32

Ask Claude!
  4. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    21 Jan '17 20:47
    Originally posted by venda
    The number of available moves will change after each move depending on variables like number of pieces on the board,number of unoccupied squares and legal moves possible so I don't see how it's possible to work out the exact number of moves available in an entire game as each game will be different.
    On a similar note I read somewhere that the number of moves ...[text shortened]... was greater than the number of atoms in the universe, so you're probably talking 10^3 billion!!
    google has a very interesting study on the number of possible moves in chess and go and number of atoms in the universe
    I could explain it in a few sentences
    but you would not understand
  5. Subscriberroma45online
    st johnstone
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 13:40

there is only two moves
    a good move and a bad move
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    26 Jan '17 13:31
    Numberphile video on this subject:

YouTube
  7. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    27 Jan '17 19:26
    Interesting.Especially when he talks about "sensible" games
  8. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    06 Mar '17 08:00

There is about one move. Kinda complicated though.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Mar '17 15:05
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    google has a very interesting study on the number of possible moves in chess and go and number of atoms in the universe
    I could explain it in a few sentences
    but you would not understand
    A bit presumptuous for a 1200 player don't you think? The guy did say he was trying to improve his game.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree