1. e4
    Moves
    27 Nov '16 05:25
    Not too bad a game. Better than Games 2 and 7
    but not producing the drama of the other games.

It all comes down to game 12 and a few clever clogs
    cleverly predicted it would all be over by Game 8 or 9.

Found a couple of RHP examples of the pitfalls I mentioned plus
    my latest acquisition from a second hand shop, a huge Black King.

Blog Post 342
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Nov '16 14:001 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    [b]
    Not too bad a game. Better than Games 2 and 7
    but not producing the drama of the other games.

It all comes down to game 12 and a few clever clogs
    cleverly predicted it would all be over by Game 8 or 9.

Found a couple of RHP examples of the pitfalls I mentioned plus
    my latest acquisition from a second hand shop, a huge Black King.

Blog Post 342
    [/b]
    Well, if 12 is a draw, it turns out not to come down to game 12, looks like. Blitz next? Doesn't this beg the question, shouldn't the match be 24 games like it used to?
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    27 Nov '16 16:24
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well, if 12 is a draw, it turns out not to come down to game 12, looks like. Blitz next? Doesn't this beg the question, shouldn't the match be 24 games like it used to?
    It's rapid games next, 4 I think and can't remember the time frame. Blitz if still tied after that
  4. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    27 Nov '16 19:45
    It seems to me they should either give the title to the incumbent (Carlsen) in the event or a tie or play the tie breakers first so the players know what they are playing for in the classical games. A world championship should not be decided by rapid or blitz games.
  5. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    28 Nov '16 13:58
    I like the overall idea, but the downside of that is that at least one player is happy to steer all games into draws...

(not that we're seeing much else now)

Note that I don't mind the number of draws per se. Especially since some were hard-fought. But let's be honest. We all want to see more decisive games. Unfortunately, at these time controls the good guys are TOO good. And maybe chess is a drawn game after all. Who said that playing well is more important than playing white?!

Alternative idea, play games at approximately double the speed (half the time). Then the current date span allows 24 games at 2 games a day. There will be more errors, which should lead to more decisive games. I hope it will also wear out these guys a little more, so it get's more interesting by the end of the match. Furthermore, 24 games will allow a little more margin for error in the first games, so hopefully players would take more risks. And more chances to test each others opening preparation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree