1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    29 Dec '16 02:40
    This was a 10 minute game I played as Black. It is educational on what happens when one side doesn't fight for their fair share of space.

2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Dec '16 03:051 edit
    I 've never seen a bishop get trapped like that. It was quite funny to see him try to get around his own pawn chain to no avail.

The guy you were playing, was he very good? Doesn't appear to be so good compared to you.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    29 Dec '16 06:34
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I 've never seen a bishop get trapped like that. It was quite funny to see him try to get around his own pawn chain to no avail.

The guy you were playing, was he very good? Doesn't appear to be so good compared to you.
    His rating was 1887 which was 17 points higher than mine.

I wouldn't judge his overall skill on one game where he experimented in the opening and got a bad position.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Dec '16 13:501 edit
    Did he not see the pawn push after he played Nc3?

Maybe he was drunk and forgot he was supposed to take the pawn first.

What was the purpose for a4?
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    29 Dec '16 19:21
    Did he not see the pawn push after he played Nc3?

Maybe he was drunk and forgot he was supposed to take the pawn first.

What was the purpose for a4?
    2.Nc3 is a book line, albeit a sideline. It is trying to get Black to over-extend, as Black does to White in many other openings, such as the King's Indian or Alekhine's Defense. It's inferior, but hardly a fatal mistake.

The purpose for a4 was to stop me from playing ...b5 to support a P on c4, but yes, it was a mistake. I can only guess that he was preparing to undermine my Pb5/c4/d3 chain with b3/a4, but that's never going to work with such a cramped position. He had to play d3 there.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Dec '16 20:473 edits
    Is there a way to know if he was drunk?

Seems to me either d5 or b5 would have been better squares for the knight after you played d4.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    29 Dec '16 23:07
    Is there a way to know if he was drunk?

Seems to me either d5 or b5 would have been better squares for the knight after you played d4.
    It's hard to say. If it moves up, Black has lots of options to kick it with a6, c6 or e6.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Dec '16 23:142 edits
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    It's hard to say. If it moves up, Black has lots of options to kick it with a6, c6 or e6.
    Just looking at some alekhine defense games. If he wanted to go there the I think following similar lines reversed would be helpful.

Looking over the beginning of that game again, if he has played d3 instead of c3 his position would have been much nicer I think.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree