1. Joined
    21 Aug '15
    Moves
    30 Jun '17 01:22
    In one of my recent tournament games I arrived at this amazing position. Despite having driven the enemy king to the correct corner of the board and having my king at the required knight's move away from it, I couldn't avoid the 50-move rule and only got a draw. Still, I have never seen a king double checked like this.

2. Aberdeen, NC
    Moves
    30 Jun '17 05:44
    Interesting.

I may be the only one here who didn't know the 50-move rule, but just in case (and assuming we can trust Wikipedia on this one) here it is:

"The fifty-move rule in chess states that a player can claim a draw if no capture has been made and no pawn has been moved in the last fifty moves (for this purpose a "move" consists of a player completing their turn followed by the opponent completing their turn). The purpose of this rule is to prevent a player with no chance of winning from obstinately continuing to play indefinitely, (Hooper & Whyld 1992:134), or seeking to win by tiring the opponent.

"All of the basic checkmates can be accomplished in well under 50 moves. However, in the 20th century it was discovered that certain endgame positions are winnable but require more than 50 moves (without a capture or a pawn move). The rule was therefore changed to allow certain exceptions in which 100 moves were allowed with particular material combinations. However, winnable positions that required even more moves were later discovered, and in 1992, FIDE abolished all such exceptions and reinstated the strict 50-move rule."

I am guessing that RedHotPawn keeps track of the number of qualifying moves, yes? Do you get a running total or just a flag of some sort appearing when 50 is reached?
  3. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    30 Jun '17 06:07
    Originally posted by Spectators
    In one of my recent tournament games I arrived at this amazing position. Despite having driven the enemy king to the correct corner of the board and having my king at the required knight's move away from it, I couldn't avoid the 50-move rule and only got a draw. Still, I have never seen a king double checked like this.

[fen]k7/2N5/1KB5/8/8/8/8/8[/fen]
    I do not believe this position is legal.
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Jun '17 07:18
    Originally posted by caissad4
    I do not believe this position is legal.
    It cannot be legally reached. The previous move, the king would have been in check by either the knight or bishop (or both).
    Such positions are possible if the knight was previously blocking the bishop, giving a double check this move. In this case, though, that would mean the knight moved from b7 to c7 - not a legal knight move.
  5. Joined
    01 Apr '09
    Moves
    03 Jul '17 13:21
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    It cannot be legally reached. The previous move, the king would have been in check by either the knight or bishop (or both).
    Such positions are possible if the knight was previously blocking the bishop, giving a double check this move. In this case, though, that would mean the knight moved from b7 to c7 - not a legal knight move.
    The game is not on Spectator's RHP list. Must have been played somewhere that didn't recognize the prior check, like the local bar maybe.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree