1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    24 Feb '17 13:201 edit
    To be inside in a cold winter night, cup of Earl Grey on my desk, my RHP game position on the computer, the same position on my chessboard, seeking, calculating, exploring the position, then finding a small weakness in my opponents forces and slowly exploiting it to the point where I log in a few months later only to find a "game won" notice is an experience I treasure. I've lost many games in the last few decades, but the hard fought victories are well worth it. I have much to be thankful for.

Sorry to take up your time with these random thoughts folks. I suppose as one gets older, one begins to find happiness in small things. 🙂
  2. e4
    Moves
    24 Feb '17 14:11
    "Sorry to take up your time..."

Not at all, it was a good post.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    24 Feb '17 16:482 edits
    Every victory feeds the ego and feels nice a short time; Just remember that the goal in chess is to be defeated by stronger and stronger players.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Feb '17 17:34
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Every victory feeds the ego and feels nice a short time; Just remember that the goal in chess is to be defeated by stronger and stronger players.
    My goal is to improve by learning to think about more in depth issues.

My rating feeds my ego. Recently I have made about a 100 point gain, which makes me feel good.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    24 Feb '17 21:05
    I find that the more I understand of strategy, the more fun it is to play. As a youth, I was fascinated by the quick and daring kill; but now, in my 'advanced middle age,' I am coming to appreciate the slow accumulation of small advantages, the slow ripening of a carefully planned assault. It almost doesn't matter whether I am on the giving or receiving end of it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree