1. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    29 May '17 20:56
    from yesyerday on another site...I had white. White = g3 h3 Rb4 Rd4 Qb8 Kg4 Black = g5 h6 Qa5 Kf6

Last move of game was B8(Q). I resigned quickly and congratulated my foe

May this be a lesson to all.
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    29 May '17 22:553 edits
    I have too many embarrassing losses to pick a favorite, so I'll share a win I'll never forget.

I was a member on a discussion board (not a chess site) and frequently butted heads with matty - he wasn't too smart but he sure was rude and we didn't like each other. One day a member invited several us to join him for some chess at chessatwork.com, and the group that joined him included me and matty.

So as it happens, my very first game here was against matty, my enemy, and I beat him with a fool's mate! No kidding. He let his other three games time out and hasn't been heard from since.

Pow! Bam! Take that you loud-mouthed idiot!

edit: Matty73 if you want to verify. There are like 5 pages of Mattys here!
  3. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    31 May '17 08:30
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    from yesyerday on another site...I had white. White = g3 h3 Rb4 Rd4 Qb8 Kg4 Black = g5 h6 Qa5 Kf6

With so many ways to lose, and only a few ways to win, these mini tragedy's befall all of us now and then.
  4. e4
    Moves
    31 May '17 12:15
    from the first post.

White played 1.b8=Q and Black played....
  5. Joined
    21 Aug '15
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 21:14
    Originally posted by ketchuplover

WHAT? You resigned in a drawn position!

You had a draw by perpetual check with Qf5+ and then Qg6+ and back to Qf5+! etc.
  6. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    02 Jun '17 01:35
    Please read the thread again
  7. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    02 Jun '17 01:39
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    from the first post.

[fen]8/1P6/5k1p/q5p1/1R1R2K1/6PP/8/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    White played 1.b8=Q and Black played....
    White (I) resigned before black replied
  8. Joined
    06 Jun '12
    Moves
    02 Jun '17 08:16
    I don't remember the exact quote, but I think greenpawn34 once said that just because you see a move doesn't mean your opponent does.

Spectators didn't see 1.b8=Q Qf5+ 2.Kh5 g4+ 3.Kh4 Qg5# or 3.Kxh6 Qg6#

That's not a knock on him. At first glance most people are looking for Queen checks and could have simply overlooked the discovered check with pawn to g4.

Is it possible ketchuplover's opponent would have gone for the perpetual check for a draw?
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Jun '17 09:46
    Against KilgoreTrout, a 1400 player here. He had a thread running regarding a daft opening system he was enamoured of and with which, so he claimed, he had defeated several players rated much higher than himself. I rose to the challenge and offered to fall into a prepared variation of his, the first few moves being fixed. I screwed it up and thereby confirmed his claim that his opening works. I still think it's a bad opening, but I sure didn't prove it in that game.

PS to GP, yeah, go ahead and search the archive for that ludicrous game, publish it for all to see and have a good laugh. Cringe cringe. We all make blunders. I console myself that even Capablanca once dropped a piece in the opening against Tarrasch.
  10. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    18 Jun '17 05:00
    I was embarrassed to win a King + Rook versus a King + Rook ending. (That's right, no pawns.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree