1. Georgia, USA
    Moves
    14 Mar '17 17:105 edits
    I was challenged in the 3-Day Ladder by a fellow named Illuminati.

He had a very high rating, well over 2,000, and I was struggling as black.

Game 12110282

On my first move, I messaged him, "Good Luck!", as is my wont:

[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/686/33284702992_7a7e8df69f.jpg[/img]

(I see the above image did not post, it shows him responding "Chess is not a game of luck."😉

I thought that was a little snide.

Anyway, I see I won that game because he was banned. Anyone know what's up with that? I suspect a chess engine is involved, but that's just a guess.
  2. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    14 Mar '17 21:39
    Wow! Someone was banned? I didn't know that still happened..
  3. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    15 Mar '17 01:121 edit
    "Chess is not a game of luck."

Not when you have an engine, at least 🙂 (lolbanned)

EDIT: I guess you can say he was UNLUCKY to be caught 😀
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    15 Mar '17 01:46
    Originally posted by FastEddieB
    I was challenged in the 3-Day Ladder by a fellow named Illuminati.

He had a very high rating, well over 2,000, and I was struggling as black.

Game 12110282

On my first move, I messaged him, "Good Luck!", as is my wont:

[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/686/33284702992_7a7e8df69f.jpg[/img]

(I see the above image did not post, it ...[text shortened]... Anyone know what's up with that? I suspect a chess engine is involved, but that's just a guess.
    As I read your post, my immediate thought is that the guy is not only unfamiliar with the idea of luck, but is also unfamiliar with the concept of karma.
  5. Joined
    08 May '09
    Moves
    15 Mar '17 01:59
    Illuminati beat me as he did most people he played on this site. I unfortunately got into a modest conversation with him but he quickly became extremely abusive for reasons which escape me. Not sure whether there were complaints from others on that score but the site is better off without him. I have no idea whether he was using a chess engine or not but it looked highly suspicious. It is not possible to play most of the top rated players on this site and not lose a game. He was also playing over 100 games at a time.
  6. Georgia, USA
    Moves
    15 Mar '17 12:301 edit
    As an aside, on Move 10 he commented: "You move pretty slowly for a guy named "fast" eddie, lol."

I took that in the light in which I hope it was intended, as humor.

I sporadically comment with moves, usually something like "Good move!" or "I did NOT see that coming!" or my rationale for a draw offer, let's say. I respect that some don't choose to respond, and realize that English is not everyone's first language.

But looking at Illuminati's rating history, it's pretty clear he was using a chess engine. Or was some sort of savant, which I highly doubt, in which case I'd feel pretty bad. But even Magnus doesn't win that regularly!
  7. Joined
    30 Apr '16
    Moves
    18 Mar '17 17:33
    Check out nuttywalt. 210 wins, 2 losses (at least one to Illuminati), 10 draws. Maybe Magnus is slumming.
  8. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    18 Mar '17 17:38
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    As I read your post, my immediate thought is that the guy is not only unfamiliar with the idea of luck, but is also unfamiliar with the concept of karma.
    I got a thumbs down, so I assume there is at least one engine-user supporter on the site- assuming Mr Illuminati has not reappeared under a new pseudonym.
  9. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    18 Mar '17 23:48
    Originally posted by FastEddieB
    As an aside, on Move 10 he commented: "You move pretty slowly for a guy named "fast" eddie, lol."

I took that in the light in which I hope it was intended, as humor.

I sporadically comment with moves, usually something like "Good move!" or "I did NOT see that coming!" or my rationale for a draw offer, let's say. I respect that some don't choose to r ...[text shortened]... h I highly doubt, in which case I'd feel pretty bad. But even Magnus doesn't win that regularly!
    The second response does seem more lighthearted and friendly. We get zero tone or inflection in electronic messages, so it's easy to misunderstand the context. If nothing else it's a good reminder.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    19 Mar '17 01:27
    I got a thumbs down, so I assume there is at least one engine-user supporter on the site- assuming Mr Illuminati has not reappeared under a new pseudonym.
    I gave you a thumbs up to balance it out, you OK now?
  11. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    19 Mar '17 14:25
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I gave you a thumbs up to balance it out, you OK now?
    Geez, I had just gotten out my tissues, and now I gotta put them away again. I could really use some cheese to go with my whine...
  12. Joined
    30 Apr '16
    Moves
    08 May '17 01:41
    Originally posted by SkippyJoe
    Check out nuttywalt. 210 wins, 2 losses (at least one to Illuminati), 10 draws. Maybe Magnus is slumming.
    nuttywalt is now the 9th highest rated player on this site. It's wonderful that we have super GMs participating.
  13. Joined
    29 Mar '17
    Moves
    08 May '17 01:59
    nuttywalt is now the 9th highest rated player on this site. It's wonderful that we have super GMs participating.
    I don't know what you are suggesting but it is certainly not right. Nuttywalt shall rule! He is taking down cenerentola!
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 May '17 18:44
    Looks like his Karma ran over his Dogma.....
  15. Joined
    27 Mar '17
    Moves
    20 May '17 17:18
    nuttywalt is now rated 2466 and is 6th with 301 wins and 4 losses. Cenerentola: whatcha gonna do when he comes for you? Illuminati is back (and smarter, although maybe next time he will lose a few more games to make it look better)!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree