1. Standard memberDeputy Daddy
    Willing to Learn
    New Hampshire
    Moves
    05 Dec '16 00:25
    I really want to get better, but I need to learn where I make mistakes and where I can improve. I was curious if someone can help break this game down to see what I did wrong and missed opportunities.

Game Id: 11969127
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '16 00:511 edit
    You won that game.

How about one you lost?
  3. Standard memberDeputy Daddy
    Willing to Learn
    New Hampshire
    Moves
    05 Dec '16 00:56
    Originally posted by Eladar
    You won that game.

How about one you lost?
    How about this one?

4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '16 01:121 edit
    In your game against McOddo traded rook for a knight. I guess that is because you didn't see the rook thst recaptured.

But two moves before this you pieces a totally blocked in.

That h pawn attack which resulted in the removal of your castled king's g pawn could have been blunted with h4. It also gave black a rook lift to your castled king.

Get your pieces free around your king. Don't have them blocked in behind pawns away from your king.
  5. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    05 Dec '16 01:161 edit
    Originally posted by Deputy Daddy
    I really want to get better, but I need to learn where I make mistakes and where I can improve. I was curious if someone can help break this game down to see what I did wrong and missed opportunities.

Here you resigned, Nxd3 looks pretty good 😉
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '16 01:221 edit
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47
    [fen]3r2k1/bpp2pp1/p3b3/2p1p3/2r1P3/3qP2P/P2B1PB1/2NQ1RK1 w - - 0 1[/fen]

Here you resigned, Nxd3 looks pretty good 😉
    See the board be the board.

Same game I commented on too lol.
  7. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    05 Dec '16 01:35
    See the board be the board.

Same game I commented on too lol.
    Yeah, there's really not much to say about the game in the original post. 14...Nxd4 and 24...Nf3+ are the only improvements that stand out. White was in blunderland.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '16 02:07
    Everyone says 1.b3 is terribke but playing it taught me to play with my pieces instead of my pawns.

After one of my games years ago I looked at the board after winning a game. The only pawns I moved were the b pawn to b3 e to e3 and the f pawn was off the board. Every piece was used in that game with rooks on the open file. Play chess with your pieces not your pawns. Every pawn move is weakening and unlike pieces pawns can't go backwards.

I look at this guy's games and I see my old games locked behind my pawns. I started out playing the colle. I even tried out this guy's english for a time.

I suck so maybe better people will correct me.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Dec '16 10:191 edit
    Purchase 10-15 good chess books.
    Study them alone, but don't only leaf through them and re-play "interesting" games and positions, but go from page 7 to the last.

Then find an instructor whom you trust and pay them what he-she asks for a course.

Then study all those books again.

If you don't improve your play after this, move to the dart, poker, snooker or some other game.
    edit::: or, find peace and accept your level and play on
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '16 11:02
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    Study them alone, but don't only leaf through them and re-play "interesting" games and positions, but go from page 7 to the last.

Then find an instructor whom you trust and pay them what he-she asks for a course.

If you don't improve your play after this, move to the dart, poker, snooker or some other game.
    This guy has a large family to support and spend time with. I am not sure he will have that much time for a few years.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '16 13:51
    I watched a few of this guy's games. He seems to play the English much like you are playing it. Look how he develops his pieces instead of moving pawns around so much.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/chess-player/dalradian
  12. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    05 Dec '16 15:371 edit

You really want to get better? 1. Get yourself some beginning and intermediate tactics books and study them, these will help you improve. 2. Slow down: Don't sabotage hours of concentrated effort with a silly blunder you could have seen if you'd taken more time.. 3. Don't beat yourself up if you're not doing well, it's part of the process! 🙂
  13. Standard memberDeputy Daddy
    Willing to Learn
    New Hampshire
    Moves
    05 Dec '16 16:14
    Originally posted by vandervelde

Is there 10-15 books that you would recommend for beginners or someone of my level. I just started watch Robbies videos on YouTube. Hopefully I will learn something. How much do you think a few hours of instruction per week would go for? I'm not rich and my 7 kids have bleed my almost completely dry, but I do have some disposable income.
  14. Standard memberDeputy Daddy
    Willing to Learn
    New Hampshire
    Moves
    05 Dec '16 16:17
    This guy has a large family to support and spend time with. I am not sure he will have that much time for a few years.
    I'm willing to trade some of my children if they will get me a few lessons
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '16 20:59
    I'm willing to trade some of my children if they will get me a few lessons
    What he is describing will takes years. Don't get impatient and don't worry about losing.

When you get done, all you can expect to do is have more to think about and lose to better players. Oh yeah, you will also shrink the pool of people you meet in life who can stand a chance against you. Net result, no one you know will play you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree