1. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    26 Jan '17 15:351 edit
    I see that the ICCF are reporting the death of Hans Berliner, International Master, Former World Correspondence Champion and Grandmaster and prime mover in the the chess programming world of the 1980's, linking to this NYT article:-

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/16/business/hans-berliner-master-chess-player-and-programmer-dies-at-87.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fobituaries&action=click&contentCollection=obituaries&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=2

I have to say the famous WC clash between himself and Estrin in the Two Knight's Defence Fritz variation that I first saw analysed in Zagorovski's "Romantic Chess Openings" was one of the reasons I took up that variation myself until games against @atticus2 on here put me off.

RIP
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Jan '17 16:03
    He claimed 1. D4 is winning. I player over his 2 games inAlekhine defense with Fischer manu times. Controvrsial as chess Writer, wickyed as corr player
  3. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    30 Jan '17 01:08
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    I see that the ICCF are reporting the death of Hans Berliner, International Master, Former World Correspondence Champion and Grandmaster and prime mover in the the chess programming world of the 1980's, linking to this NYT article:-

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/16/business/hans-berliner-master-chess-player-and-programmer-dies-at-87.html?rref=collection ...[text shortened]... reasons I took up that variation myself until games against @atticus2 on here put me off.

RIP
    Hans won the world correspondence title when I was 12. A very strong player in his day, and a sad loss for the chess world. 😳
  4. e4
    Moves
    30 Jan '17 14:07
    Hi Ragwort,

The Estrin - Berliner 1965 C.C. game you mentioned,

Tim Harding donates 11 pages to this game in his 64 Great Chess Games (C.C.)

5. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    01 Feb '17 01:27
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    He claimed 1. D4 is winning. I player over his 2 games inAlekhine defense with Fischer manu times. Controvrsial as chess Writer, wickyed as corr player
    I have always assumed that those games were what inspired Fischer to play Alekhine's Defense twice against Spassky. No higher compliment!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree