1. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    29 May '16 17:131 edit
    Part of a King's Gambit thematic tournament.

I thought that my opponent's resignation was a little premature, so I looked again to see what I had missed. My queen, apparently! I have a blind spot for backward knight moves, but this is the first in a while. And how!

A very cogent example of the "mutual blindness" phenomenon- an another reason why my rating is unnaturally inflating again.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    30 May '16 21:11
    If I were you, I would earnestly try to make some other mistake next time than hanging the Q !

"I have a blind spot for backward knight moves,..."

That's the sort of oversight which happens to people who learned that a N moves in an "L". I remind myself that a N moves in a circle (or an octagon).
  3. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    30 May '16 22:07
    Strangest ending I've seen in a while.
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    30 May '16 22:43
    Originally posted by moonbus
    If I were you, I would earnestly try to make some other mistake next time than hanging the Q !

"I have a blind spot for backward knight moves,..."

That's the sort of oversight which happens to people who learned that a N moves in an "L". I remind myself that a N moves in a circle (or an octagon).
    I like that- I am going to try to adapt my thinking that way.
  5. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    31 May '16 07:26
    Please clarify. Who is white? Who resigned? tyia
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    31 May '16 14:06
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    Please clarify. Who is white? Who resigned? tyia
    You can click on the "header" tab at the bottom of the pgn viewer to get all the relevant information.

I was white. I recaptured with the bishop on f6 instead of my queen (the queen capture was part of the plan, and I don't know how I messed it up). The result was that my queen was hanging, and I should have lost.

Instead my opponent resigned! He missed that I had blundered. I think he did not realize that I had recaptured with the wrong piece, and had planned to resign the next move anyway.

Bottom line- we both deserved to lose, and I got away with a freebie. One I am sure to pay forward at some future date, I should add!
  7. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    31 May '16 23:19
    Time control ?
  8. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    31 May '16 23:52
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    Time control ?
    3/7
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Jun '16 19:40
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I was white. I recaptured with the bishop on f6 instead of my queen (the queen capture was part of the plan, and I don't know how I messed it up). The result was that my queen was hanging, and I should have lost.

Instead my opponent resigned! He missed that I had blundered. I think he did not realize that I had recaptured with the wrong piece, an ...[text shortened]... and I got away with a freebie. One I am sure to pay forward at some future date, I should add!
    You seem to hypnotize your opponents.

Revgard, for instance, appears to have missed 21. ... RxBg5 (or am I the one missing something there?). (I know we're not supposed to comment on running games, but the moment has passed.)
  10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 14:24

Revgard, for instance, appears to have missed 21. ... RxBg5 (or am I the one missing something there?). (I know we're not supposed to comment on running games, but the moment has passed.)
    I absolutely will not comment on a game in progress.
  11. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 14:25

That said, my rating inflation continues...

And you are now feeling very sleepy....you can barely keep your eyes open... just make a random move and hit "submit"... when you wake, you will not remember this thread at all....
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 22:29
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    That said, my rating inflation continues...

And you are now feeling very sleepy....you can barely keep your eyes open... just make a random move and hit "submit"... when you wake, you will not remember this thread at all....
    zzzzzzzz
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 06:50
    Hey! I think somebody hacked my account and moved my piece last night. Gotta change the password.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree