1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    15 Nov '15 16:381 edit
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    Fischer's game acquired the title because he was so young, and at the time it was considered a miracle to see an American boy play like this. If it was done by some Russian in Pioneer's Home in Moscow, it would be considered a normal result of Soviet Chess Drill...

Nevertheless, Fischer is symbol of chess for me, and I never understood Kasparov - he ...[text shortened]... untouchable. Those names are always arbitrary, and comparisons are impossible. Matter of taste.
    I think Kasparov would have beaten Fischer (both at their best). Both of their technique was obviously incredible, but in a match I think Kasparovs adversarial aggression would get to Fischer. Kasparov was (is) a monster at the board, who was literally feared by all, Fischer never had that sort of opposition. Kasparov had to beat one of the strongest champions of all time (Karpov) to get his title. Look at the resilience Kasparov showed in 84, the man just refused to lose! Would Fischer have coped with that sort of pressure? I don't think so.

Chess wise i think it's an even battle, both were incredibly strong. But that's on paper, a match between them would be epic and intense beyond anything we've seen thus far in World championship history. If it's going to come down to who can handle the pressure, then my money is on Kasparov.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    17 Nov '15 11:48
    One must also bear in mind that Kasparov had the advantage of having had Fischer's games to study, whereas the reverse was not so.
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    17 Nov '15 12:39
    Originally posted by moonbus
    One must also bear in mind that Kasparov had the advantage of having had Fischer's games to study, whereas the reverse was not so.
    Had they lived in the same era, then they would have developed together, that is the only way to really know who would come out on top. I suspect they would have been pretty evenly matched in say, life time score. But if you look at the manor in which Kasparov became World champion. He survived a 5 month match, after nearly losing in the first week. Between the match in 84 and his eventual victory (in a must win final game no less) he adapted his style to take on an opponent who was (at least in the beginning) a stronger player. If we are going to take each player at their peak, then we are taking Kasparov after he has played at least two world championships against the most successful tournament player of all time. Fischer v Kasparov would be epic, but Kasparov would already have two World championships under his belt..
  4. Joined
    09 Aug '09
    Moves
    21 Nov '15 23:28
    This game is neither Fischer's nor Kasparov's, but I remember following it back when I was still very active, and it still brings me great joy. It could possibly be called Jussupow's immortal πŸ™‚ http://www.chessbites.com/Games.aspx?d=oAookoQk.
  5. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    22 Nov '15 19:23
    Originally posted by TimothyMark
    This game is neither Fischer's nor Kasparov's, but I remember following it back when I was still very active, and it still brings me great joy. It could possibly be called Jussupow's immortal πŸ™‚ http://www.chessbites.com/Games.aspx?d=oAookoQk.
    Is that Ivanchuk vs. Yusupov (Brussels 1991) ? A most impressive game by both combatants imo

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree