1. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jul '17 13:07
    I find it most irritating when opponent after the game explains what could have happened, how I could have played better, especially after I won, as he diminishes my victory and make me from a winner into an ignorant.

And how can be that he knows all that, I am always blind and go through the game as through dark cave, and never know if I had better or weaker position?

If they knew all that why didn't they win the bloooody game?
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 Jul '17 14:27
    Your opponent has one big advantage when it comes to attacking/defending his position, he actually knows what he was trying to do. Until we can read minds, we can only guess.

What you might be reacting to is the other person's attempt to regain face after having lost.
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    13 Jul '17 01:01
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    I find it most irritating when opponent after the game explains what could have happened, how I could have played better, especially after I won, as he diminishes my victory and make me from a winner into an ignorant.

And how can be that he knows all that, I am always blind and go through the game as through dark cave, and never know if I had better or weaker position?

I have to admit that I also find these kinds of comments annoying, especially the ones that are some variation of "If I had played a good move instead of blundering, I would have won!", as they tend to state the obvious as though it is some kind of insight.

I have heard this stuff so much after game, that now my routine is to pause a moment while they wait for a response, and then say " I can certainly agree that, if we had played different moves, it would have been a different game."

The game just played is what it is, and we either learn and move on, or repeat the mistake in a future game. I've done both, unfortunately!
  4. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    14 Jul '17 03:31
    as he diminishes my victory and make me from a winner into an ignorant
    I have a solution for you..it's obvious..just lose all your games from now on ! That will put an end to the annoying comments !!
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    14 Jul '17 06:28
    There are self-serving, ego-bolstering comments (excuses, really), and there are useful annotations. Not always easy to separate the wheat from the chaff.
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 04:30
    If you can't win the game, win the post-mortem.

A bizarre twist on this was this older, much weaker, guy I used to play, and he never wanted to hear of any better moves he could have played. He was a bit of a sore loser and preferred to believe he was simply fated to lose.
  7. e4
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 09:542 edits
    I'll add a comment after a game if I think the lad missed a shot or missed something
    which I think could help their future games.

Often get a thank you, sometimes no response, once or twice told to basically piss off.
  8. Standard memberShambhala
    Servant of Cat
    Up in the hills
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 00:47
    I usually like to review the game with my opponent in OTB events. Win or lose. I work under the assumption that both my opponent and I seek to improve our game. Reviewing the game while it is still fresh in our minds (not just "what did i play" but "what was my thought process that led to this move"😉 is hugely valuable.

On this site, I haven't found my opponents at all talkative. Nor myself even! It's just not the same...
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jul '17 10:53
    Originally posted by Shambhala
    I usually like to review the game with my opponent in OTB events. Win or lose. I work under the assumption that both my opponent and I seek to improve our game. Reviewing the game while it is still fresh in our minds (not just "what did i play" but "what was my thought process that led to this move"😉 is hugely valuable.

On this site, I haven't found my opponents at all talkative. Nor myself even! It's just not the same...
    When asked (on RHP, I mean), I reply with some comments and analysis,
  10. SubscriberRooksandHooks
    rookorbycrook
    Solihull
    Moves
    18 Jul '17 05:53
    you should take it as a positive mate, its just his way of expressing his love for the game, if you find it annoying that's not his fault is it...... Every sports person professionally goes over a match with their opponent or coach..... I think you need to change your frame of mind when your playing chess..... just saying !!
  11. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    20 Jul '17 03:47
    Originally posted by @vandervelde

Perhaps they were just trying to get your thoughts and analysis.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree