1. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Aug '16 09:412 edits
    In my own games I have encountered a knight v three pawns more than once and each time I have failed, both with the knight and with the pawns. Here is a problem that i encountered. Can anyone help me with the correct approach, that is the correct thought process, maybe highlighting key squares, commenting on the relative position of the kings and how it affects the position and outlining the winning plan.

I have searched even that god forsaken tome Dovertskys endgame manual (spit ding) and all the net and can find nothing about three pawns and king v knight and king. If I knew how to use table bases I could maybe find the solution but I don't and even if i did it would it help? so I am left shuffling pieces about aimlessly with little understanding. If anyone can impart a little understanding I would appreciate it - regards Robbie.

white to play and probably win
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Aug '16 09:55
    Regardless who is to play, White wins.
    I know what you are asking for: same instructions like from Averbakh's books about ending:
    for example:
    - improve King's position
    - create free Pawn
    - in colaboration of Bishop and King promote the Pawn
    etc.

In this ending, direction might sound as:
    - bring King to Pawns and as soon Knight retreats, move h-Pawn ahead.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Aug '16 09:57
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    I know what you are asking for: same instructions like from Averbakh's books about ending:
    for example:
    - create free Pawn
    etc.

yes that type of thing, a conceptual approach ๐Ÿ˜€
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Aug '16 10:421 edit
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    for example:
    - create free Pawn
    etc.

I found an online table base, g6 and black can actually draw ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Aug '16 11:533 edits
    can someone post the solution, here is the pgn

[Event "?"]
    [Site "?"]
    [Date "????.??.??"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "?"]
    [Black "?"]
    [Result "*"]
    [FEN "3k4/7n/8/6P1/5P1P/5K2/8/8 w - - 0 1"]

1.Ke4 Nf8 2.f5 Ke8 3.Ke5 Kf7 4.Kd6 Kg7 5.h5 Nh7 6.h6+ {the only move that wins, all others draw} 6...Kg8 7.g6 Nf6 8.Ke7 Nd5+ 9.Ke6 Nf4+ 10.Ke5 Nd3+ 11.Kf6 Nf4 12.h7+ Kh8 13.Kg5 Nxg6 14.fxg6 Kg7 15.h8=Q+ Kxh8 16.Kf6 Kg8 17.g7 Kh7 18.Kf7 Kh6 19.g8=Q Kh5 20.Qg3 Kh6 21.Qg6# *
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    06 Aug '16 16:29
    The general rule is: the three connected pawns win if and only if two can reach the fifth rank. The defending side (Black with knight) should keep his king in front of the pawns. The situation is easier for the side with pawns if only two are connected and one is farther away.

See Reuben Fine, Basic Chess Endings, pg 83 (Dover paperback ed.) from which the following two positions are derived. This is the critical position: Black to play draws, White to play wins.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree