1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    28 Jan '16 22:58
    Has anyone tried this? I have to say i really like it. I'm not wild about chess variants as a rule but this one is really good! You can get so creative. 🙂
  2. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    29 Jan '16 02:31
    Wow, ok i am completely hopeless at this variation!! +2 -22!! What a record! LOL 😀
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    29 Jan '16 21:09
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Has anyone tried this? I have to say i really like it. I'm not wild about chess variants as a rule but this one is really good! You can get so creative. 🙂
    It's like a single-board version of bughouse. The nice thing is that you can fully calculate variations without worrying over your partner getting you the pieces you need.
  4. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    30 Jan '16 04:23
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    It's like a single-board version of bughouse. The nice thing is that you can fully calculate variations without worrying over your partner getting you the pieces you need.
    It is probably a better game than classical chess tbh. I'd like to see anyone develop an opening that can't be refuted by simply capturing something randomly and doing something completely contrary to what you expect. I watched a Chess Network video with him playing and he asks how many possible games (mathematically) there are? Well, it is going to be a LOT more! A hell of a lot more!!! Holy cow 🙄
  5. Subscriberptobler
    Patzer
    Canberra
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 03:12
    Is there a chess variant where the only difference is that you can capture en passant with any piece (not just with a pawn)?
  6. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 14:52
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I watched a Chess Network video with him playing and he asks how many possible games (mathematically) there are? Well, it is going to be a LOT more! A hell of a lot more!!! Holy cow 🙄
    I read somewhere that the number of possible crazyhouse games might just even be infinite,
    when you consider that you could technically keep recapturing and placing pieces back on the board to capture in a different style.

It's really quite crazy, and should regular chess one day become "solved" or redundant,
    then this is a variant that would keep the game alive.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 15:54
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    I read somewhere that the number of possible crazyhouse games might just even be infinite,
    when you consider that you could technically keep recapturing and placing pieces back on the board to capture in a different style.

It's really quite crazy, and should regular chess one day become "solved" or redundant,
    then this is a variant that would keep the game alive.
    While I enjoy playing crazy house, I wouldn't like to see it take the place of standard chess. Crazy house games are decided almost exclusively by attacking skill. Much of the richness of standard chess - endgames, for example, is not present.
  8. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 15:44
    It is definitely a different animal. I have noticed that, generally speaking, sacrifices are much more effective in this variant. The simple fact that you can exchange something and then place that captured piece on the following move means that the usual 'cost' that you pay (reduced material that can make mate impossible) is removed completely. It's almost impossible to play an ending, so the need for end game knowledge is exchanged for a much sharper tactical battle. I can see this variant being particularly appealing for tactical players for that reason..

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree