1. Joined
    01 Sep '07
    Moves
    20 Jun '17 23:05
    If a King is cornered but not in check...and he trys to moved but he will be in check is that checkmate ?
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 00:291 edit
    Originally posted by murraywash
    If a King is cornered but not in check...and he trys to moved but he will be in check is that checkmate ?
    No. The King must be in check. If you have no legal moves, but are NOT in check, the game is drawn by stalemate.
  3. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    21 Jun '17 23:43
    many GM's believe this rule should be eliminated. Should be a win..and I agree.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Jun '17 06:002 edits
    Originally posted by ogb
    many GM's believe this rule should be eliminated. Should be a win..and I agree.
    Name one!

Elimination of stalemate as a draw would ruin chess. For starters, White wins this without the need for "opposition":

So now, an extra pawn is a larger advantage. Goodbye, endgame nuances, speculative sacrifices and daring gambits. Hello, miserly play-it-safe pawn hoarding.
  5. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    23 Jun '17 01:07
    Exactly, the possibility of stalemate has led to interesting battles and swindles even at top level.

If you're winning, but allow a stalemate, you don't deserve the win.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Jun '17 06:07
    What you describe is called stalemate, a draw.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jun '17 12:24
    You've been here 10 years and you don't know that by now?
  8. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    24 Jun '17 14:19
    Someone asked me this one. I have lots of pieces and opponent only has a king. Can I still resign to lose?
  9. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    24 Jun '17 19:59
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    Someone asked me this one. I have lots of pieces and opponent only has a king. Can I still resign to lose?
    Yes.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Jun '17 07:47
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    AIUI in those circumstances you can't lose on time -- if you drop through your clock, it's a draw, because your opponent could not possibly checkmate even if you blunder massively. But if you yourself choose to resign, you can.
  11. Joined
    21 Aug '15
    Moves
    26 Jun '17 17:26
    Why not call checkmate "freshmate" or alternatively, call stalemate "Checklessmate?"
  12. Joined
    21 Aug '15
    Moves
    26 Jun '17 23:38
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Name one!

Elimination of stalemate as a draw would ruin chess. For starters, White wins this without the need for "opposition":

[fen]8/8/8/8/3k4/3P4/3K4/8[/fen]

So now, an extra pawn is a larger advantage. Goodbye, endgame nuances, speculative sacrifices and daring gambits. Hello, miserly play-it-safe pawn hoarding.
    GM Nigel Short says that stalemate should be a win for the side giving it.

He's said that all stalemate accomplishes is to make a very drawish game even more drawish.

Also: "The King is lost on the next move after it is stalemated, so it is entirely consistent with the aim of the game - capturing the king." He said this on his player's page on chessgames.com.
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    27 Jun '17 04:58
    Originally posted by Spectators

He's said that all stalemate accomplishes is to make a very drawish game even more drawish.

Also: "The King is lost on the next move after it is stalemated, so it is entirely consistent with the aim of the game - capturing the king." He said this on his player's page on chessgames.com.
    Now that you mention it, I think that's right. I still am not sure he has really thought it through. The loss of nuance, for example, probably outweighs the reduction in draws. Really, it is only at the super-GM level that the game is that drawish.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jun '17 12:351 edit
    Originally posted by Spectators

But stalemate means the king is only quarantined, sequestered, not captured. You have to have a weapon at the ready to stab the sucker if you want to count it as a win. We're KILLING the king here, not sending it to Alcapulco to retire🙂
  15. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    28 Jun '17 20:03
    Napoleon was after all exiled to Elba with no men and made a come back! (but didn't from St Helens.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree