1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    16 Mar '16 18:53
    So we are nearly half way, just wondered what people think about this tournament? I think Karjakin is looking very good (had he won today he would have equaled Anands winning score from last cycle before we even reach half way!)

Aronian looks like he has another gear to me. Caruana has been pretty disappointing. To fail to win against Topalov and to play somewhat strangely today. I can't help feel he as squandered too many chances already. Same goes for Svidler, he has had promising positions in his last two or three games but can't seem to find that extra something.

Giri has drawn all his games, big surprise there.

Nakamura needs a win badly if he is going to remain in contention.

Anand, no offense, but I really can't bear the thought of you qualifying again!

Topalov, well someone has to get spanked. Thanks for stepping up.
  2. Joined
    25 Feb '16
    Moves
    16 Mar '16 20:52
    Maybe too early to call, but I don't see Topalov, Nakamura, Anand or Giri winning it.
  3. Joined
    22 Dec '15
    Moves
    16 Mar '16 21:08
    Nakamura was very disappointing today being 3 games behind and going for a Berlin Wall draw. His ability to fight for a win with black was why I labeled him a favorite going in.

My favorite player in the field is the wildcard/unqualified invite so this is the first time I root against Aronian.

Hopefully Giri or Caruana can go on a hot streak.
  4. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    16 Mar '16 23:101 edit
    world championship - Car vs Kar ??

All the momentum seems to be building in Karjakin's favour, ever since his comeback world cup win vs Svidler.
    Early wins against strong opposition may well already be a deciding factor in the tournament, but, still a fair way to go.

My heart is still rooting for Aronian, but he has often not excelled when it matters, but could still have a go.

Karjakin has White vs Aronian on Saturday, round 7.
    Probably a draw, but still the game to watch for me 🙂
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 08:57
    I always wondered if we would ever have a Carlsen v Karjakin WC match. For so many years we were looking at those two in particular as promising juniors, I for one would love to see them play. Personally i feel either Caruana or Giri would give Magnus the biggest test (Giri in a match would be a nightmare, the guy never takes a risk). Caruana seems to be one of the few players who tries to actually beat Carlsen (apart from Naka but we all know who's the daddy in that relationship).

Karjakin is in his prime, i really see no reason why he shouldn't win. Of all the players, he has created the most chances and had the most luck too to boot! 🙂
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 11:36
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I always wondered if we would ever have a Carlsen v Karjakin WC match. For so many years we were looking at those two in particular as promising juniors, I for one would love to see them play. Personally i feel either Caruana or Giri would give Magnus the biggest test (Giri in a match would be a nightmare, the guy never takes a risk). Caruana seems to be ...[text shortened]... t win. Of all the players, he has created the most chances and had the most luck too to boot! 🙂
    I loved his game against Anand, it was a positional masterclass, saddle black with hanging pawns, make them advance and take advantage. His little quite moves were really instructive too.
  7. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 12:49
    Karjakin looks to have an awkward position against Caruana. This game may prove to be very important. If Karjakin holds to a draw here, i think he may pour some water on Caruana's chances. He has failed to convert a couple of good positions already, if Caruana can't win in todays game then I feel he's leaving himself too much to do. Very nice preparation though!
  8. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 16:272 edits
    Unbelievable play by Karjakin, to sack the queen like that and hold the draw. He has to be odds on favourite now.

EDIT: Wow, out of no where Vishy is in second! Not again, please not. :'( :'(
  9. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 16:56
    Does Anyone Remember years ago when there was a Knockout tournament that perhaps yielded an unlikely winner, but maybe Anand did not play in? The winner, I guess, was supposed to play Kasparov or some other leading player for a semi-final match.

If I remember correctly. . .

1) the winner of the knock out was supposed to play 1 player if not Kasparov.
    2) then maybe another 2 leading players were to play a separate match.
    3) And then the 2 winners of the 2 semi-final matches were to play each other for the World Championship?

Did the knock out winner have a last name that started with a "K." I guess, the proper world championship match never took place. Maybe the 2 semi-final matches did not take place either.
  10. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 17:091 edit
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    Does Anyone Remember years ago when there was a Knockout tournament that perhaps yielded an unlikely winner, but maybe Anand did not play in? The winner, I guess, was supposed to play Kasparov or some other leading player for a semi-final match.

If I remember correctly. . .

1) the winner of the knock out was supposed to play 1 player if not Kaspar ...[text shortened]... championship match never took place. Maybe the 2 semi-final matches did not take place either.
    There were two Fide knockouts that i remember. One of them decided the challenger for Karpov, who waited while the challenger had to get through a 128 player knockout. Anand won that and had to play a completely fresh Karpov, who made short work of him. The other was the knockout won by Ruslan Ponomariov when he was still 20 (i believe). Kalifman won a world championship as well, as did Rustam Kasimdzhanov...
  11. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 19:04
    Well, Naka's chances took a nosedive today, lost a rook ending to Aronian in 83 moves. Naka now has only 2 out of 6. Aronian and Karjakin are tied for first at 4-2. Anand crushed Svidler in just 24 moves.
  12. Joined
    22 Dec '15
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 20:20
    Carlsen-Anand 3 would be as stale as a hypothetical Alekhine-Bogo 3 (which was proposed by AA)
  13. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    17 Mar '16 22:14
    Originally posted by SPswindler
    Carlsen-Anand 3 would be as stale as a hypothetical Alekhine-Bogo 3 (which was proposed by AA)
    You're right, no one wants to see Anand roll over and play dead again, just as he did against Kasparov in 1996, and like he did in his two matches against Carlsen. I'm hoping it will be Karjakin, as frankly, some new blood is needed here.
  14. e4
    Moves
    18 Mar '16 00:40
    Not sure if Anand rolled over, playing Kapsarov and Carlsen, the former probably
    the great player ever, the latter is on course to take that title, it would seem
    like you were rolling over. Anand's win Svidler

Viswanathan Anand - Peter Svidler. 2016 Candidates

15. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    18 Mar '16 11:33
    I don't think Anand will have the legs this time. He has shown great form (despite the loss) but i believe Aronian and Karjakin are going to out score him this time. Aronian looks very relaxed, which should be a danger sign for the rest of them. Todays game between the leaders should hopefully be interesting. Karjakin doesn't look like he fancies losing a game in this tournament.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree