1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 12:13
    It says blitz unavailable, did it do a Blixit?
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 15:01
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It says blitz unavailable, did it do a Blixit?
    I have thought that maybe it is a victim of poor marketing due to its label.

Basically, it was a format where people could play real-time chess at any single-period time control, not just a blitz time control, but that fact was not obvious because it was labeled as a "blitz site".

I'm thinking that RHP might draw more people if it was also known to offer a format for real-time play. I don't really have any evidence or experience to back up my assertion, but I wonder.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 17:35
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I have thought that maybe it is a victim of poor marketing due to its label.

Basically, it was a format where people could play real-time chess at any single-period time control, not just a blitz time control, but that fact was not obvious because it was labeled as a "blitz site".

I'm thinking that RHP might draw more people if it was also known t ...[text shortened]... ime play. I don't really have any evidence or experience to back up my assertion, but I wonder.
    I'd say it was a victim of a poor interface. 😛
  4. Joined
    21 Aug '15
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 18:10
    Nope. There was a hacker with username Brainsblob (which got banned and then he created the new accounts Rusy and RGM). He has been busy exploiting RHP security vulnerabilities for months. I played him and he could cause me to involuntarily resign or disconnect and when I would send him a message telling him to stop he could make the message read: "I like frogs" no matter what I typed. I think he brought the blitz microsite down. He could also get my IP Address and find the city where my internet service provider is located. He could make me and other people involuntarily disconnect from our games even when we weren't playing him. One guy got locked out of his account and had to contact the site admin.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 18:371 edit
    Originally posted by Spectators
    Nope. There was a hacker with username Brainsblob (which got banned and then he created the new accounts Rusy and RGM). He has been busy exploiting RHP security vulnerabilities for months. I played him and he could cause me to involuntarily resign or disconnect and when I would send him a message telling him to stop he could make the message read: "I like ...[text shortened]... we weren't playing him. One guy got locked out of his account and had to contact the site admin.
    If there were security vulnerabilities that allowed someone to do that then they pretty much had to close the micro-site as it sounds as if someone may have been able to do worse than just play pranks on people.

Based on what it says when one clicks on the link, Russ is having the vulnerabilities fixed and will make the micro-site available again when he's sure no one can do that again.
  6. Joined
    21 Aug '15
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 19:49
    This is what my friend had to say: "I got locked out of the site altogether. I couldn't even access my account and had to correspond with the website operators. The tech told me that the site would be down until the issue could be 'fully investigated.' I hope they find a way to boot that clown, that conduct needed to be stopped."
  7. Joined
    21 Aug '15
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 21:19
    This is what the hacker was doing:

Clickjacking

"The malicious practice of manipulating a website user's activity by concealing hyperlinks beneath legitimate clickable content, thereby causing the user to perform actions of which they are unaware."
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 03:14
    This is what the hacker was doing:

Clickjacking

"The malicious practice of manipulating a website user's activity by concealing hyperlinks beneath legitimate clickable content, thereby causing the user to perform actions of which they are unaware."
    And he does it just for kicks. How can such an assshole be stopped from just getting another account when he is banned? He could hack into some server and make it look like another IP address so it would look like he is in Ecuador or the Ukraine, no telling where.
  9. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 15:04
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    And he does it just for kicks. How can such an assshole be stopped from just getting another account when he is banned? He could hack into some server and make it look like another IP address so it would look like he is in Ecuador or the Ukraine, no telling where.
    We need to find the person a girlfriend or boyfriend. "Old school" solutions tend to have the greatest effect.
  10. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 15:04
    At the time of this post blitz appears to be back.
  11. Joined
    29 Sep '14
    Moves
    09 Jul '16 23:03
    . I played him and he could cause me to involuntarily resign .
    Wish I could do that in an over the board game.
  12. Joined
    21 Aug '15
    Moves
    13 Jul '16 01:35
    AND he could also change a player's nickname when they played him and remove or add pieces to the board during the game. Forgot to mention that.
  13. SubscriberHappyChappy
    Stadtholder
    Moves
    14 Jul '16 21:07
    Nope. There was a hacker with username Brainsblob (which got banned and then he created the new accounts Rusy and RGM). He has been busy exploiting RHP security vulnerabilities for months. I played him and he could cause me to involuntarily resign or disconnect and when I would send him a message telling him to stop he could make the message read: "I like ...[text shortened]... we weren't playing him. One guy got locked out of his account and had to contact the site admin.
    More daydream believing - perhaps you should highlight how many additional accounts you have...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree