1. Joined
    22 Dec '15
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 05:36
    Before deciding on a wide vs narrow repertoire I think there are few other questions-

1.What is the end rating goal?
    2.When do you feel "imbalancing the position" is necessary?
    3. Memory ability/time available
    4. The need to be popular vs being a rebel of sorts.

Depending on the results of that perhaps learning many many systems is best.. or maybe just one.

As for myself I'm thinking of doing a deep study of IQP positions and just filling up an OTB rep with those lines. (Tarrasch and 4N Sicilian as black, PBA, Tarrasch French, Alapin Sicilian, fast Italian game etc as white)
  2. Joined
    25 Feb '16
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 11:57
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    Learn one opening completely and play it exclusively
    Just don't be fooled by the idea that a single name means a single and simpler opening. The Sicilian may be bigger than the Scandinavian, Alekhine and Caro-Kann combined.
  3. Joined
    22 Dec '15
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 20:41
    Originally posted by Metacomedian
    Just don't be fooled by the idea that a single name means a single and simpler opening. The Sicilian may be bigger than the Scandinavian, Alekhine and Caro-Kann combined.
    You could take it to another extreme- I think the Bg5 Najdorf Sicilian is bigger that those openings combined. 😲

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree