1. Standard memberDeputy Daddy
    Willing to Learn
    New Hampshire
    Moves
    27 Nov '16 14:03
    Are there any good videos for beginners out there....or a series of video that starts off with how the pieces move and goes onto various aspects such as piece development center control connecting rooks etc. Or videos that go over openings and other tactics traps and tips. I understand some, but I think good video instruction may help. Thanks.

Dep
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Nov '16 14:481 edit
    Originally posted by Deputy Daddy
    Are there any good videos for beginners out there....or a series of video that starts off with how the pieces move and goes onto various aspects such as piece development center control connecting rooks etc. Or videos that go over openings and other tactics traps and tips. I understand some, but I think good video instruction may help. Thanks.

Dep
    I got loads of beginner/intermediate videos on my channel if you can understand my Scottish accent. Some of them are good and some of them not so good, but there are also many other channels that are listed there. Check them out if you have a mind to.

YouTube
  3. Standard memberDeputy Daddy
    Willing to Learn
    New Hampshire
    Moves
    27 Nov '16 14:521 edit
    Thank you so much. What video would you recommend that I start with? If I have any questions would you mind if I ask them?

Best,

Dep
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Nov '16 15:52
    I looked at your games and so far I haven't seen you give away any pieces and you seem to protect your pieces.

That's very good for a beginner.

You seem to ask better questions than most beginners would ask. Either you have already received good instruction and have developed board vision or you are a natural. Or perhaps I havent had enough games to watch.

I used to watch robbie's videos. Mostly watched the opening videos. I liked them.
  5. Standard memberDeputy Daddy
    Willing to Learn
    New Hampshire
    Moves
    27 Nov '16 21:30
    I've been playing and losing for years and years. I'm probably a 1000 rating in over the board,though I can't really say for sure because I've never had any rated games, but the rated players I've played all seem to roll over me around move 12 or so. At least that is where my game tends to fall apart. I've watched quite a few of Neil McDonald's videos on the English opening and it is the one I feel the most comfortable with, but that is far from saying I am any good with it. He is a bit complex for me to understand, so I was looking for easy to understand instruction that was broken down step by step. So technically I'm not a beginner, as I've been playing for 30 years, but I consider my game especially mid game and end game to be beginner like.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Nov '16 22:45
    You might want to put some time into chesstempo.

Tactics are killer and it will help with board vision.

Openings don't do much since people dont play them right then you don't know what to do. Even if they do you end up running out of opening around move 10 or so.

Greenpawn would probably suggest you learn checkmate patterns so you can create them or avoid them. I just happen upon stuff.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Nov '16 23:42
    One other thing don't be so hot to initiate a trading of rooks on an open file. If your opponent recaptures with a queen or rook your opponent now controls the file.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Nov '16 01:41
    Don't worry about losing for years. Nothing will stop that.

As you get better you will find it harder to find a challenge in person so you'll just lose to better players on the internet.
  9. Standard memberDeputy Daddy
    Willing to Learn
    New Hampshire
    Moves
    28 Nov '16 02:561 edit
    I will try to refrain from talking about games still in progress, but I know exactly what you are taking about. I messaged my opponent and told him I couldn't believe I gave his queen free reign of the b file. Not one of my finer moments.
  10. Standard memberDeputy Daddy
    Willing to Learn
    New Hampshire
    Moves
    28 Nov '16 02:58
    There has to be chess tempo for beginners....I've tried some of the puzzles and the like there but I am rubbish at them, I have a hard to isolating. You are probably right, I need to learn checkmate patterns and how to create them and more importantly stop them. Right now my hope is to last long enough for my opponent to make a blunder so I can take advantage.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Nov '16 03:451 edit
    The puzzles are rated. The more you mess up the lower your rating the easier the puzzle it gives you.

As you miss puzzles play the solution out and see if you can see the pattern. Why was your move bad and why the solution is good.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Nov '16 05:12
    Right now my hope is to last long enough for my opponent to make a blunder so I can take advantage.
    I would adjust what you just said. In stead of a blunder I would say a blunder you can see.

That's what tactics puzzles can help you see, more blunders.

I play that way too.
  13. Standard memberDeputy Daddy
    Willing to Learn
    New Hampshire
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 04:20
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I got loads of beginner/intermediate videos on my channel if you can understand my Scottish accent. Some of them are good and some of them not so good, but there are also many other channels that are listed there. Check them out if you have a mind to.

[youtube]9ugDFOoevyI[/youtube]
    I had an opportunity of rare quiet in my house to watch some of your videos on the English opening.

You are very clear and I had no trouble understanding you through your accent. Thank you so much for this information.

Dep

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree