1. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 00:32
    Anyone have any good examples of this defence working?

I understand the theory, tempt the pawns forward then undermine the central pawns from the flanks,
    but I'd like to see good examples of this, may help convince me to try it out.

Here's a bit of a wild game of my own finished recently, where I play White vs. this defence.
    Wonder how many games has seen a King on his third rank by move 16, and seem quite safe.

2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 15:09
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    Anyone have any good examples of this defence working?

I understand the theory, tempt the pawns forward then undermine the central pawns from the flanks,
    but I'd like to see good examples of this, may help convince me to try it out.

Here's a bit of a wild game of my own finished recently, where I play White vs. this defence.
    Wonder how many g ...[text shortened]... is going to utilise the light squares d5, e6 and f7 to ensure material is won... 1-0} 1-0[/pgn]
    I recommend the games of GM Edvins Kengis. At one point, he played something like 25 games using Alekhine's Defense over a period of 2 years or so against quality opposition, and did not lose a single one.

To play that many games in a row against 1. e4 and against GM/IM opposition and not lose a single game is a remarkable performance.
  3. Joined
    03 Jul '13
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 19:05
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I recommend the games of GM Edvins Kengis. At one point, he played something like 25 games using Alekhine's Defense over a period of 2 years or so against quality opposition, and did not lose a single one.

To play that many games in a row against 1. e4 and against GM/IM opposition and not lose a single game is a remarkable performance.
    Remarkable indeed, although as a GM he knows what he's doing.
    I tried playing Alekhine's Defence a while back, but have ditched it now.
    I'm sure with accurate play it's a sound defence, but I was left with the impression that it's the sort of opening that just one small slip can leave you getting punished quite severely.
    And at my level, small slips (and larger ones as well of course!) are inevitable.
    I feel that with most other openings, small slips don't necessarily have such potentially drastic consequences (although of course there are plenty of exceptions, the King's Gambit being one.)
  4. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    26 Jun '16 21:571 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett

A blast from the past! Thread 118974

Did you get to be in touch with him in the end?
    I'll see what good examples I can get and try them out 🙂

Edit: Oh and thanks for the tip
  5. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    27 Jun '16 00:36
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    A blast from the past! Thread 118974

Did you get to be in touch with him in the end?
    I'll see what good examples I can get and try them out 🙂

Edit: Oh and thanks for the tip
    I remembered the thread, but did not remember the details.

I played it for awhile and did very well OTB, but I avoided playing it here because I used Rybka when putting together my OTB prep, which would be against the TOS.

(Nowadays all opening books are heavily computer-assisted, but at least it isn't me doing it, and I can't separate the computer from the GM unless they point it out.)

The main reason I quit playing it was because players stopped playing 2, e5 against me, and the game transposed into openings I did not want to play.

I still haven't been in touch with him, but GM Lars Bo Hansen now lives in my hometown, and he said he would put some feelers out for me.

Paul

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree