1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    19 May '16 23:05
    I've just been reading about a Cambridge student (Yang-Fan Zhou) who has just secured his second GM norm at the recent 4NCL. You can read the article here..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/18/chess-yang-fan-zhou-one-step-closer-to-securing-gm-title-after-s/

I have copied the moves into a pgn, have a look at this brilliant long term Queen sacrifice. What makes it all the more impressive is that this is the game that secured the Norm!

2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 May '16 12:16
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I've just been reading about a Cambridge student (Yang-Fan Zhou) who has just secured his second GM norm at the recent 4NCL. You can read the article here..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/18/chess-yang-fan-zhou-one-step-closer-to-securing-gm-title-after-s/

I have copied the moves into a pgn, have a look at this brilliant long term Queen sa ...[text shortened]... 4.Nxd3 Bxd3 25.b4+ Ka4 26.bxc5 Bxf1 27.Kxf1 e5 28.Be3 a5 29.Bd5 Rb8 30.c6 Qa6 31.Bc5 *

[/pgn]
    I wonder what the rating of the opponent was ATT. Regardless, it is a Paul Morphy kind of game!
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    20 May '16 12:31
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I wonder what the rating of the opponent was ATT. Regardless, it is a Paul Morphy kind of game!
    I think he clearly has the ability to correctly calculate very long variations! It is not as if black looks lost after that sacrifice by any stretch of the imagination. He must have used a healthy spoon full of intuition when judging whether it was correct or not. I wonder what the time situation was actually, perhaps his opponent was approaching time trouble..?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree