1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Oct '15 06:53
    Does RHP allow a player to slander/libel other players in their profile?

It doesn't seem likely but currently one player does exactly this against several other openly-named players.

Can this site possibly allow such a thing?

What do members think? Surely there must be limits on what a member may say in their profile?
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    23 Oct '15 08:56
    Originally posted by Startreader

It doesn't seem likely but currently one player does exactly this against several other openly-named players.

What do members think? Surely there must be limits on what a member may say in their profile?
    In fact I don't see the possibility for the site to scan all profiles at all times. Send feedback if you find such a thing, and see if they react.
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Oct '15 09:47
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    In fact I don't see the possibility for the site to scan all profiles at all times. Send feedback if you find such a thing, and see if they react.
    Thank you, Ponderable.

I've already done that. I'm waiting to hear back. It's an extraordinary profile, written by a player whose conduct has already earned him disciplinary action back in the summer. He is seething, and his profile names some of those who brought his misconduct to admin's attention. However, he has fabricated a list of fictional accusations and allegations. It's very bad, entirely false, and if it were in print and naming real names he would be punished in the courts. I don't know how long it's been up there, possibly a couple of days but it might be much longer; there's no way of knowing.

I can't believe it can remain up there and the player not be banned.
  4. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    23 Oct '15 11:58
    With several thousand members who all have the capability of changing their profile text as often as they feel like it, I just don't see anyone who is going to look at them at all unless someone sends in a feedback.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Oct '15 13:27

It would have to be feedback based, but if someone is making accusations of cheating against another player or generally saying stuff agaisnt the ToS then you could send feedback.
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Oct '15 13:34
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    With several thousand members who all have the capability of changing their profile text as often as they feel like it, I just don't see anyone who is going to look at them at all unless someone sends in a feedback.
    That's what I've done. I was alerted to it by a comment from another member. Still no word from the admin but it's early days.
  7. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    23 Oct '15 14:16
    I don't want to hijack this thread off-topic, but I sometimes wonder who 'admin' really is.

Is it just Russ, or is it Russ and Chris? In earlier days that is who it was.
    Does Russ now have other members who help with sorting out problems and feedbacks?

I think Russ probably has other things that occupy his time besides running this site, so that could be why it sometimes takes some time to get a response to feedbacks.

I think we still have volunteer moderators but as far as I know they only take care of the public forum. I don't think they are involved with anything else so dealing with a member's offensive profile would not be in their area of activity. But I could be wrong about that.
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Oct '15 14:23
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    I don't want to hijack this thread off-topic, but I sometimes wonder who 'admin' really is.

Is it just Russ, or is it Russ and Chris? In earlier days that is who it was.
    Does Russ now have other members who help with sorting out problems and feedbacks?

I think Russ probably has other things that occupy his time besides running this site, so that coul ...[text shortened]... er's offensive profile would not be in their area of activity. But I could be wrong about that.
    It's ok, you haven't hijacked the thread. It's pertinent.

I know only Russ and one of the volunteer forum moderators. I think on this issue, which has rumbled on for several months and now surfaced with this appalling profile post, they really need to take action as many people are complaining that nothing is being done. Inaction is just no longer ok.
  9. Joined
    06 May '13
    Moves
    23 Oct '15 16:41

it would have to be false to be slander/libel. As it is he said/she said it would be hard to prove either way. Is there information within the profile that would jeopardize people in their everyday life apart from the website? To have such a thing in one's profile is rather juvenile.

As other have said a request for an admin to query seems to be the best route. Other than that the only other option would be to try and ignore the person.
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Oct '15 17:37
    Originally posted by Hellpuppy
    it would have to be false to be slander/libel. As it is he said/she said it would be hard to prove either way. Is there information within the profile that would jeopardize people in their everyday life apart from the website? To have such a thing in one's profile is rather juvenile.

As other have said a request for an admin to query seems to be the best route. Other than that the only other option would be to try and ignore the person.
    Yes, it was totally false and provably so since admin was party to all the details.

Once was Russ was aware of the situation he acted instantly and removed it, and will take stronger action should it recur.

Very encouraging.

Thanks to all for their input.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree