1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    20 Jan '17 18:26
    Whatever you may think of the man who just assumed office, the most moving scene of the inauguration, for me, was seeing the former president leaving. Voluntarily. Peacefully. Alive. That is no mean feat; I can think of no other empire which organized regular, frequent, and peaceful transitions of power for anything like 200 years running. Just compare with what is going on in Gambia right now for a reality check on how politics runs in many other countries most of the time.
  2. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    20 Jan '17 18:42
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Whatever you may think of the man who just assumed office, the most moving scene of the inauguration, for me, was seeing the former president leaving. Voluntarily. Peacefully. Alive. That is no mean feat; I can think of no other empire which organized regular, frequent, and peaceful transitions of power for anything like 200 years running. Just compare with ...[text shortened]... bia right now for a reality check on how politics runs in many other countries most of the time.
    Well said
  3. Joined
    19 Oct '14
    Moves
    20 Jan '17 19:50
    It's just a shame that the USA does everything in its power to stop a genuine democratic process happening anywhere else in the world!
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Jan '17 20:12
    I can think of no other empire which organized regular, frequent, and peaceful transitions of power for anything like 200 years running.
    The British Empire
  5. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    20 Jan '17 20:59
    Fools. Do you think the change of puppet in chief is a transition of power?

How naive. The power remains in the same place, no matter who sleeps at the
    White House.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    20 Jan '17 21:17
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    The British Empire
    You cannot be serious! The transfer of power in Britain was never regular and seldom peaceful, until power was effectively removed from the monarchy.

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/KingsQueensofBritain/
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Jan '17 21:32
    You cannot be serious! The transfer of power in Britain was never regular and seldom peaceful, until power was effectively removed from the monarchy.

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/KingsQueensofBritain/
    What has that link got to do with anything?
  8. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    20 Jan '17 22:58
    What does your question have to do with that link?
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Jan '17 00:08
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Fools. Do you think the change of puppet in chief is a transition of power?

How naive. The power remains in the same place, no matter who sleeps at the
    White House.
    Lies.

I alone hold the power.
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    21 Jan '17 01:34
    Originally posted by beardmusic
    It's just a shame that the USA does everything in its power to stop a genuine democratic process happening anywhere else in the world!
    Of course it doesn't. I wonder what you see that makes you think such.

'genuine'? Mob rule?
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    21 Jan '17 08:18
    It recounts about 1200 years of English monarchs who died in battle or were killed by their relatives / rivals. A counter-example to the claim that the British Empire organised regular and peaceful transfers of power.
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    21 Jan '17 08:52
    I noted that there were 4 former presidents on the grandstand behind Trump (Carter, Bush Jr., Clinton, and Obama). That says a lot. It's easy to get people into power; every nation manages that, one way or another. It's getting people out of power, on schedule and with dignity, that really matters in the long run. It may be America's great gift to posterity. I doubt Russia, for example, will make the same claim when Putin finally goes.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jan '17 10:17
    http://img.wennermedia.com/480-width/george-w-bush-2-9c613eed-9edf-4ae9-8c7f-0191309734a7.jpg
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 Jan '17 14:114 edits
    Whatever you may think of the man who just assumed office, the most moving scene of the inauguration, for me, was seeing the former president leaving. Voluntarily. Peacefully. Alive. That is no mean feat; I can think of no other empire which organized regular, frequent, and peaceful transitions of power for anything like 200 years running. Just compare with ...[text shortened]... bia right now for a reality check on how politics runs in many other countries most of the time.
    moonbus,

It wasn't exactly a peaceful transition. The protesters burned at least one vehicle that I saw on the news. The riot squad had to use rubber bullets and pepper spray to drive them back. They did manage to keep them away from the route Trump was taking, by around 6 blocks I think was mentioned.

At least two Policemen were injured and taken to hospital, that the media told us about. Many were arrested! I don't know what the last count was on arrests and people pepper sprayed.

Trump's security will have a big job on their hands protecting him. That was the biggest security detail I've seen in some time. I counted at least 20 secret service on each side of the car he was driving in.

One of the Videos on nbcnews:
    https://www.google.ca/#q=Trump+inauguration+rioting

-VR
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Jan '17 16:29
    It recounts about 1200 years of English monarchs who died in battle or were killed by their relatives / rivals. A counter-example to the claim that the British Empire organised regular and peaceful transfers of power.
    The British Empire does not date back 1200 years does it?

My claim was refuting your statement that " ... no other empire which organized regular, frequent, and peaceful transitions of power for anything like 200 years running."

So can you tell me about 1750 - 1950 ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree