1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 15:182 edits
    "If this is the first time you've had this emergency, press 1, if this is the nth time you've been having this emergency, keep pressing 2 until it stops, if this is an impossibility paradox because you cannot not have had this emergency already in the past, press 3 yesterday."
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Jan '17 04:42
    Speaking of time travelers, I received like 9 seasons worth of the "new" Doctor Who for Christmas, and starting to wade through them now. It's like discovering Doctor Who all over again. I forgot how much I enjoy watching this show. 🙂
  3. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Jan '17 08:251 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Speaking of time travelers, I received like 9 seasons worth of the "new" Doctor Who for Christmas, and starting to wade through them now. It's like discovering Doctor Who all over again. I forgot how much I enjoy watching this show. 🙂
    Never really got into Dr Who. Watched it more when David Tenant was the Dr (obviously the best one ever) and have memories of watching Tom Baker when I was a kid (obviously the 2nd best Dr ever) but does seem to be geared more to a younger audience, when say compared to Star Trek.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Jan '17 11:521 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Never really got into Dr Who. Watched it more when David Tenant was the Dr (obviously the best one ever) and have memories of watching Tom Baker when I was a kid (obviously the 2nd best Dr ever) but does seem to be geared more to a younger audience, when say compared to Star Trek.
    I'm an American, and used to American TV. That said, I like the way Doctor Who looks and feels on my TV. It makes Star Trek look way over-produced.

As for the different Doctors, that's always been just a part of the show to me, and so I never really developed a "favorite" Doctor.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Jan '17 20:38
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I'm an American, and used to American TV. That said, I like the way Doctor Who looks and feels on my TV. It makes Star Trek look way over-produced.

As for the different Doctors, that's always been just a part of the show to me, and so I never really developed a "favorite" Doctor.
    I always thought it was a comedy routine, like with the toilet plungers on the Dyleks....
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    19 Jan '17 11:42
    I know what you mean about Star Trek (post Kirk-Spock) being over-produced; they had tonnes of money to spend on effects and often went OTT on costumes and prosthetic devices. Dr. Who was more cerebral and more comic-booky, both at once.

The different Doctors issue was resolved very early on and made endless sequels possible. This has been less successful with the latest cinema instalments of Star Trek with Chris Pine as pre-Shatner Kirk and Zachary Quinto as pre-Nimoy Spock et al. The producers would have done better to create new characters than rewrite the history of the original Kirk-Spock Federation. Talk about time travel paradoxes: when Abrams destroyed Vulcan, it un-wrote half the original Kirk-Spock episodes.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Jan '17 12:194 edits
    Originally posted by moonbus
    I know what you mean about Star Trek (post Kirk-Spock) being over-produced; they had tonnes of money to spend on effects and often went OTT on costumes and prosthetic devices. Dr. Who was more cerebral and more comic-booky, both at once.

The different Doctors issue was resolved very early on and made endless sequels possible. This has been less successful ...[text shortened]... avel paradoxes: when Abrams destroyed Vulcan, it un-wrote half the original Kirk-Spock episodes.
    Totally agree. But creating new Star Trek properties is a hit-and-miss affair. DS9 was popular, Voyager less so, and Enterprise (pre-pre-Original Series) did the worst in terms of popularity.

I hated what Abrams did with Vulcan and never really got over it. "Alternate Timelines" just suck, and show a remarkable lack of vision. When I saw his name on SW:VII, I thought, "Here we go again", and sure enough, Abrams just blew out all of the intervening canon stories that were written after SW:VI; the loss of the Thrawn trilogy especially, and The Courtship of Princess Leia both hurt, as they set up a timeline where Solo and Leia had kids (all Force-capable), and so now, instead of the Lucas-endorsed canon stories**, now called "Star Wars Legends", Abrams shoved this bogus "Force Awakens" storyline on us, even though he won't be directing the next two, he forced HIS storyline to become accepted. Thanks, J.J., for ruining Star Wars the same way you selfishly ruined Star Trek. I hope to God he never gets his hands on Doctor Who.

** https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon#Expanded_Universe
    and
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon#The_Holocron

P.S.: I now see that Timothy Zahn is writing a new novel about Thrawn to be included in the new canon. This takes away a bit of the sting of losing this character to the canon re-branding of 2014. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Thrawn

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree