1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    14 Feb '17 12:52
    another one I was remnded of by current events:

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
    ― Oscar Wilde, The Happy Prince and Other Stories
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    26 Mar '17 06:03
    Beauty is the only thing that time cannot harm. Philosophies fall away like sand, creeds follow one another, but what is beautiful is a joy for all seasons, a possession for all eternity.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    14 Apr '17 14:461 edit
    There is no necessity to separate the monarch from the mob; all authority is equally bad.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Apr '17 15:59
    "I must say to myself that I ruined myself, and that nobody great or small can be ruined except by his own hand. I am quite ready to say so. I am trying to say so, though they may not think it at the present moment. This pitiless indictment I bring without pity against myself. Terrible as was what the world did to me, what I did to myself was far more terrible still."
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    15 Apr '17 06:41
    "To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness." - Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    03 Jun '17 06:46
    It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.

Oscar Wilde
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 14:09
    The studio was filled with the rich odour of roses, and when the light summer wind stirred amidst the trees of the garden, there came through the open door the heavy scent of the lilac, or the more delicate perfume of the pink-flowering thorn.

Oscar Wilde
  8. Gothenburg
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 16:28
    Morality, like art, means drawing a line someplace.
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 Aug '17 22:45
    A haaandbaaag!?

-- just to remind us that not everything of his was charming. Some of it was just funny,
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 15:20
    O we are wearied of this sense of guilt,
    Wearied of pleasure's paramour despair,
    Wearied of every temple we have built,
    Wearied of every right, unanswered prayer,
    For man is weak; God sleeps: and heaven is high:
    One fiery-coloured moment: one great love; and lo! we die.

(out of Panthea)
  11. Gothenburg
    Moves
    22 Oct '17 09:51
    Oscar Wilde: The Unrepentant Years, newly published biography by Nicholas Frankel.
  12. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 15:16
    “I think after Christmas would be better for publication: I am hardly a Christmas present.”

― Oscar Wilde, The Complete Letters of Oscar Wilde
  13. Standard memberLEUR
    TEXAS
    STATE OF THE HEART
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 16:031 edit
    “Certainly the most destructive vice if you like, that a person can have. More than pride, which is supposedly the number one of the cardinal sins - is self pity. Self pity is the worst possible emotion anyone can have. And the most destructive. It is, to slightly paraphrase what Wilde said about hatred, and I think actually hatred's a subset of self pity and not the other way around - ' It destroys everything around it, except itself '.

Self pity will destroy relationships, it'll destroy anything that's good, it will fulfill all the prophecies it makes and leave only itself. And it's so simple to imagine that one is hard done by, and that things are unfair, and that one is underappreciated, and that if only one had had a chance at this, only one had had a chance at that, things would have gone better, you would be happier if only this, that one is unlucky. All those things. And some of them may well even be true. But, to pity oneself as a result of them is to do oneself an enormous disservice.

I think it's one of things we find unattractive about the american culture, a culture which I find mostly, extremely attractive, and I like americans and I love being in america. But, just occasionally there will be some example of the absolutely ravening self pity that they are capable of, and you see it in their talk shows. It's an appalling spectacle, and it's so self destructive. I almost once wanted to publish a self help book saying 'How To Be Happy by Stephen Fry : Guaranteed success'. And people buy this huge book and it's all blank pages, and the first page would just say - ' Stop Feeling Sorry For Yourself - And you will be happy '. Use the rest of the book to write down your interesting thoughts and drawings, and that's what the book would be, and it would be true. And it sounds like 'Oh that's so simple', because it's not simple to stop feeling sorry for yourself, it's bloody hard. Because we do feel sorry for ourselves, it's what Genesis is all about.”
    ― Stephen Fry
  14. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    16 Jan '18 12:05
    “Romance lives by repetition, and repetition converts an appetite into an art. Besides, each time that one loves is the only time one has ever loved. Difference of object does not alter singleness of passion. It merely intensifies it. We can have in life but one great experience at best, and the secret of life is to reproduce that experience as often as possible”

― Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
  15. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    08 Mar '18 07:26
    In the Spirit of the RHP Prose contest:

I don't want to be at the mercy of my emotions. I want to use them, to enjoy them, and to dominate them.
    OW

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree