1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 May '17 19:13
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What were you doing for living to go to that many places? I did a lot of US travel as a Varian rep but I don't think I did near the number you did.
    Some of it was pleasure, but other was business-related when I was in a buying position... and the rest of it was picking people up at said airports.
    He didn't say flown in/out, right?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 May '17 19:18
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Some of it was pleasure, but other was business-related when I was in a buying position... and the rest of it was picking people up at said airports.
    He didn't say flown in/out, right?
    What does that mean, 'buying position'? Real estate deals?
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 May '17 21:35
    What does that mean, 'buying position'? Real estate deals?
    Nothing that fun.
    Negotiating deals for internally-used supplies directly from manufacturers instead of second and third party sources.
    The travel part convinced me that travel sucks.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 May '17 21:50
    My current list is 44 that I can remember.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 May '17 22:18
    Originally posted by JS357
    My current list is 44 that I can remember.
    Just from reading a few of the other posters, it is very clear that quantity is nothing compared to quality.
    If I could, I'd give up 3/4's of my destinations/stops for a handful of the far more interesting places described by some herein.

But then again, if you lived your whole life in Mozambique, Phoenix looks incredibly exotic...
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 May '17 23:09
    Just from reading a few of the other posters, it is very clear that quantity is nothing compared to quality.
    If I could, I'd give up 3/4's of my destinations/stops for a handful of the far more interesting places described by some herein.

But then again, if you lived your whole life in Mozambique, Phoenix looks incredibly exotic...
    Mozambique looks far more interesting than Phoenix.
    What parts of East Africa would you recommend?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 May '17 23:56
    Isn't this true of almost everything.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 May '17 00:01
    I have been fortunate enough to visit both; and I assure you there is little exotica in Phoenix and where I was in Mozambique, while certainly not typical, was infinitely more exotic than Flatsville Arizona.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 May '17 00:53
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I have been fortunate enough to visit both; and I assure you there is little exotica in Phoenix and where I was in Mozambique, while certainly not typical, was infinitely more exotic than Flatsville Arizona.
    Agreed, but if you're from there, even mundane (Phoenix or etc.,) appears exotic.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 May '17 12:07
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Mozambique looks far more interesting than Phoenix.
    What parts of East Africa would you recommend?
    East Africa. Cairo! and specifically, the Cairo museum, what an incredible place! Mind boggling the amount of tech they actually had 3000 years ago. I saw a model 'airplane' more like a small bird but with a vertical stabalizer and rear wings as well as front wings. It looked spookily like it could have been carved and painted by a modern mid west USA farmer for his kid to play with.

Our tour guide, a now famous dude named Zahi Hawass, he showed us on the collonade of columns going from the great pyramid at Giza to the Sphinx, he said I made a disovery I am writing a paper on it so don't write to anyone about this for 4 months or so I can get it published. What 'it' was was on one of the columns so deteriorated by wind and sand over thousands of years, but Zahi sussed it out anyway and once he showed us it was obvious: One of the columns had an inscription carving of a kangaroo! That was shocking! It said right there, back 3000 odd years ago, ancient Egyptians KNEW about Austalia, the only place that has roo's AND they brought some back to make pets for the Pharaoh's garden but they didn't thrive in Egypt and eventually all died out. Maybe when that Pharaoh died the new one didn't want to take care of them or something. Anyhow, an astounding discovery I thought.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 May '17 21:43
    East Africa. Cairo! and specifically, the Cairo museum, what an incredible place! Mind boggling the amount of tech they actually had 3000 years ago. I saw a model 'airplane' more like a small bird but with a vertical stabalizer and rear wings as well as front wings. It looked spookily like it could have been carved and painted by a modern mid west USA farme ...[text shortened]... ew one didn't want to take care of them or something. Anyhow, an astounding discovery I thought.
    Anyhow, an astounding discovery I thought.
    Agreed.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 May '17 03:01
    East Africa. Cairo! and specifically, the Cairo museum, what an incredible place! Mind boggling the amount of tech they actually had 3000 years ago. I saw a model 'airplane' more like a small bird but with a vertical stabalizer and rear wings as well as front wings. It looked spookily like it could have been carved and painted by a modern mid west USA farme ...[text shortened]... ew one didn't want to take care of them or something. Anyhow, an astounding discovery I thought.
    Last time I looked Cairo was in North Africa.
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    20 May '17 11:18
    chicago
    la
    denver
    regional

You know, I like the window seat but frankly would rather drive

Which reminds me. Drive across the desert and time of day says pull over until the sun gets out of the way. This is a real thing.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 May '17 17:53
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Last time I looked Cairo was in North Africa.
    Yeah, that is as close as I got.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree