1. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jan '17 21:57
    Apple addicts are weird, maniacs, false eccentrics, false aristocrats, control freaks, predominantly gay,
    Microsoft users are all kind all round creatures.

Have you experience that, when you have to borrow someone's Apple-top, and you can-t find lower bar with fonts (*where is "@", where is "Æ"?), and there is no Word so you get Free Office with no paging, no anything, no Picture management, you simply cannot find anything, neither Mozilla nor Chrome, like you never touched a computer in your life.

Didn't you get an urge to kill Apple-inventor?
    Okay, he happens to be dead now, but inheritors are making a hell of a money, still.
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    13 Jan '17 22:291 edit
    I'm a Mac user. Yet, it irks me that some worship that quack Jobs.
  3. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '17 01:202 edits
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    Apple addicts are weird, maniacs, false eccentrics, false aristocrats, control freaks, predominantly gay,

Have you experience that, when you have to borrow someone's Apple-top, and you can-t find lower bar with fonts (*where is "@", where is "Æ"?), and there is no Word so you get Free Office with no ...[text shortened]... -inventor?
    Okay, he happens to be dead now, but inheritors are making a hell of a money, still.
    I bought a mac 2 years ago. I was getting fed up with 2-year old pc's that took half an hour to boot up, accumulated mystery viruses despite a healthy and expensive diet of antivirus software, and eventually rewarded me with the inevitable blue screen of death.
    The mac is just fine. It has great build quality, it's stable, boots up in seconds and once you're used to the odd nuances, which is frustrating business alright, does what it says on the tin. And I haven't started propositioning healthy young lads yet.
    But - apart from the eye-watering price - it felt like selling your soul to the devil. You are right about mac fans - I find them an irritating bunch of geeks on the whole and you have to just give that apple 'club' thing a stiff ignoring. It's just a tool.
    The single most tiresome 'apple experience' is having to drag yourself into an apple retailer, staffed by nerdy lads with a carefully dishevelled 'my first beard' and the appalling misnomer 'genius'. When they see you coming, (and picture me - middle aged and technologically clueless with a fierce missus in tow, demanding answers) and the prospect of actually having to do some meaningful work, they'll scatter like a flock of frightened starlings. Next time I'll take a stun gun and some thumbscrews until I get some proper service.
    While I'm on an Apple rant - I'm not having another iPhone. Way too expensive and way too outclassed these days.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    14 Jan '17 04:05
    Originally posted by vandervelde

Have you experience that, when you have to borrow someone's Apple-top, and you can-t find lower bar with fonts (*where is "@", where is "Æ"?), and there is no Word so you get Free Office with no ...[text shortened]... -inventor?
    As a web developer/designer, I can vouch for Macs as better for that purpose. Otherwise, I agree: Mac users are douches.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 19:18
    No computer is perfect for every job for every person. I have seven computers in my home office, 3 running Windows (NT, XP, and 8.1) and the rest are Macs (Tiger to El Capitan); I need all of them to do what I do. Some are better for some tasks, others are better for other tasks.

That said, I briefly upgraded my Win8.1 machine to Win10. Win10 is the worst OS I have ever seen. Nothing works without a MS-account and a running Internet connection. I could not even add a birthday to the calendar without a MS-account and a running Internet connection. Mac's iCal will run without a Mac-ID or an Internet connection. Win10 also deleted my third-party firewall and replaced it by MS-Defender; I paid good money for that firewall and I was not happy to have MS delete it without so much as a peep. Win10 also mandates mandatory updates; there is no button to stop automatic updates. This violates one of the most basic rules of computing: never change a running system. I promptly deleted Win10 and reverted to 8.1.
  6. Standard memberBongalloJoe
    Not Gone Yet
    STALKER ALERT!!
    Moves
    18 Jan '17 04:08
    If Microscoft made a tree, would it have apples?
    If Apple made a car, woud it have windows?
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    18 Jan '17 08:00
    Originally posted by BongalloJoe
    If Microscoft made a tree, would it have apples?
    If Apple made a car, woud it have windows?
    Dunno, but if Linux made a car, you'd have to write your own driver for it.
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    18 Jan '17 10:582 edits
    I have been using a Mac as my workstation machine for the last few months.

Each time I switch platform, my brain has to rewire for keyboard shortcuts, and other UI differences which are less of an issue.

It's like when you switch between driving in the US/EU and the UK, it takes an hour or so for everything to become natural again.

I'm verging on sticking with Mac OSX though in future, to make this less frustrating.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Jan '17 11:48
    Originally posted by moonbus
    That said, I briefly upgraded my Win8.1 machine to Win10. Win10 is the worst OS I have ever seen. Nothing works without a MS-account and a running Internet connection. I could not even add a birthday to the calendar without a MS-account and a running Internet connection. Mac's iCal will run without a Mac-ID or an Internet connection. Win10 also deleted my th ...[text shortened]... rules of computing: never change a running system. I promptly deleted Win10 and reverted to 8.1.
    I have resisted upgrading from Win7 to Win10. But now my Windows Update stopped actually downloading any updates. So now I might end up being forced to go to Win10 just so I can get updates.

Did you try re-installing your firewall software over MS Defender? I have similar fears of Win10 doing a similar thing to my anti-virus/firewall software.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jan '17 13:41
    Both Apple users and Windows noobs need a good slap on the back of the head. If I was to pick though I would say that Apple users are the dumbest. They get ripped off for no reason other than they want an Apple on their machines. Linux users are the best, we build our own PC's and have access to gazzilions of open source software.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    19 Jan '17 11:32
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I have resisted upgrading from Win7 to Win10. But now my Windows Update stopped actually downloading any updates. So now I might end up being forced to go to Win10 just so I can get updates.

Did you try re-installing your firewall software over MS Defender? I have similar fears of Win10 doing a similar thing to my anti-virus/firewall software.
    MS has stopped supporting Win7, so someday you will find that new software (browser security patches, for example) will no long run on Win7.

Yes, I was able to re-install my ZoneAlarm over MS-Defender, but be advised that turning off Defender doesn't work for long; it turns itself back on again automatically. The only way to deactivate MS-Defender it is to stop the process entirely in the services panel, which means dicking around under the hood, always risky for people not conversant in such matters.
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    19 Jan '17 12:24
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    ... Linux users are the best, we build our own PC's and have access to gazzilions of open source software.
    That's exactly the problem with Linux: gazzilions of stuff I don't need which no one but other Linux users has ever used. I need industry standard apps, such as Photoshop and InDesign, because that's what publishers expect. Try sending them pseudo-Photoshop or pseudo-InDesign files from some cobbled-together Linux imitation and they just chuck it out.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Jan '17 12:46
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Both Apple users and Windows noobs need a good slap on the back of the head. If I was to pick though I would say that Apple users are the dumbest. They get ripped off for no reason other than they want an Apple on their machines. Linux users are the best, we build our own PC's and have access to gazzilions of open source software.
    Just shut up about Linux already.

If we want a geek show, we'll give you a call.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Jan '17 12:55
    Originally posted by moonbus
    MS has stopped supporting Win7, so someday you will find that new software (browser security patches, for example) will no long run on Win7.

Yes, I was able to re-install my ZoneAlarm over MS-Defender, but be advised that turning off Defender doesn't work for long; it turns itself back on again automatically. The only way to deactivate MS-Defender it is t ...[text shortened]... ich means dicking around under the hood, always risky for people not conversant in such matters.
    Yeah, I knew that (about the support going away). I went through this with XP also.

Does Win10 still have the "msconfig" feature where you can pick and choose which start-up progs you want to run, and leave off the ones you don't? (I ran my own BBS WAY back-in-the-day, and so I'm more conversant in computers than the typical female computer user (yes, I remember MS-DOS and batch files), but still, I'm a novice again when discussing Win10.)
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    19 Jan '17 13:02
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yeah, I knew that (about the support going away). I went through this with XP also.

Does Win10 still have the "msconfig" feature where you can pick and choose which start-up progs you want to run, and leave off the ones you don't? (I ran my own BBS WAY back-in-the-day, and so I'm more conversant in computers than the typical female computer user (yes, I remember MS-DOS and batch files), but still, I'm a novice again when discussing Win10.)
    Yes, there is still a java-thingy which allows granular control of all services, auto-run, manual run, stop, or disable. This is not quite the same thing as the start-up programs in the start-menu, which is maybe what you were referring to.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree