1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Apr '16 11:31
    It's fairly easy to see exactly what is wrong with America when an admitted child molester is sentenced to 15 months on a single charge of evading bank currency reporting requirements, and not even charged with felony child abuse because the statute of limitations on that crime has run out (A), and yet a 76-year-old disabled army veteran was handed a sentence of life in prison without parole for growing marijuana in his back yard to alleviate his own health problems (B).

A:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/editorials/ct-dennis-hastert-child-molester-prison-edit-0428-20160427-story.html

B:
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/15/lee-carroll-brooker-alabama-marijuana-sentence
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Apr '16 11:371 edit
    So do you disagree with the statute of limitations?

I agree that US drug laws are ridiculous.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    29 Apr '16 12:12
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    It's fairly easy to see exactly what is wrong with America when an admitted child molester is sentenced to 15 months on a single charge of evading bank currency reporting requirements, and not even charged with felony child abuse because the statute of limitations on that crime has run out (A), and yet a 76-year-old disabled army veteran was handed a senten ...[text shortened]... :
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/15/lee-carroll-brooker-alabama-marijuana-sentence
    I would argue that those are symptoms and not the disease.

The disease is all too common... A total lack of evidence based policy making.

America is far from alone in having this problem, but like everything else you like to do it bigger. 😉
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Apr '16 12:43
    Yes all other countries have no problems or disparities in their justice system.
    Just America.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Apr '16 14:251 edit
    It's fairly easy to see exactly what is wrong with America when an admitted child molester is sentenced to 15 months on a single charge of evading bank currency reporting requirements, and not even charged with felony child abuse because the statute of limitations on that crime has run out (A), and yet a 76-year-old disabled army veteran was handed a senten ...[text shortened]... :
    Now, now, the rules are the rules Suzy.

Unless you live in Washington, then even the rules don't apply

God just can't make hell hot enough
  6. Germany
    Moves
    29 Apr '16 14:29
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    Yes all other countries have no problems or disparities in their justice system.
    Just America.
    And therefore nothing should be done to fix issues with the justice system in America.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Apr '16 14:31
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    And therefore nothing should be done to fix issues with the justice system in America.
    Sure, elect Hillary. She will put things right. 😵
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Apr '16 20:061 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So do you disagree with the statute of limitations?

I agree that US drug laws are ridiculous.
    Yes, I do, for the crimes involving abuse of children. These children are scarred for life, and there is not a single aspect of the rest of their lives that is not tainted by the abuse they suffered as children. These children had no choice whether they were abused or not, and people like Dennis Hastert take advantage of their vulnerability. There is no SoL on murder, and what these users do is murder these children's chances at a normal adult life. They should be put in prison to pay for their heinous crimes regardless of when the facts come to light. But the way it is now, once the rather short SoL runs out, they are free to enjoy the rest of their lives in freedom after ruining these children's lives. This is just not right.

And mandatory sentences for drug possession, especially marijuana, need to be revisited and revised. The Supreme Court this week refused to consider this man's case, which was extremely over the line for such a victimless crime. Compare this to people like Dennis Hastert remaining free even after ruining the lives of children.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    29 Apr '16 22:55
    I agree with your position on B. The sentence Hastert got for the crime he was tried for was probably incorrect as the judge was increasing the time served for a crime he wasn't being tried for, but only accused of. What is ludicrous is that he cannot be charged with the more serious offence of child molestation. Statutes of limitation are reasonable for many offences - for example a 40 year old should not be charged with petty drugs offences committed in their reckless youth. Paedophilia does not come into this category. I'm normally against retrospective legislation, however I can see no reason not to make the removal of the limitation retrospective for child abusers.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    29 Apr '16 22:56
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    These shortcomings are discussed ad naseum. The problem, in most cases, is that fixing one problem creates others. Perfection is a slippery goal.
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    29 Apr '16 23:00
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I agree with your position on B. The sentence Hastert got for the crime he was tried for was probably incorrect as the judge was increasing the time served for a crime he wasn't being tried for, but only accused of. What is ludicrous is that he cannot be charged with the more serious offence of child molestation. Statutes of limitation are reas ...[text shortened]... r I can see no reason not to make the removal of the limitation retrospective for child abusers.
    The law can be changed without making it retrospective.

The problem with charging pedophilia years down the road, and sometimes other crimes is that memories of witnesses tend to be both dulled and enhanced at the same time.

The issue of childhood "memories" being created is well known.
  12. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    30 Apr '16 14:42
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    Just America.
    The threads not about other countries though, is it?

Maybe you should start one. Do you know any other countries?
  13. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    30 Apr '16 14:481 edit
    Rich man's justice. It's a well known commodity in America. It's amazing to me that so many turn a blind eye to it. If it were up to me I'd give the Vet all the pot he wants, and send Hastert to everlasting, burning hell for what he did to those boys, the judge in this case wanted to as well, but the statute of limitations had run out on much of Hastert's evil deeds.

I still think America has one of the better justice systems in the world, but it clearly could be improved. .
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Apr '16 17:45
    We definitely have a problem with the untouchables in this country. The ruling elite need to be held accountable, both Republican and Democrat. Hilary needs to be in jail as well, but she won't even see a single day in prison.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Apr '16 18:35
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    The threads not about other countries though, is it?

Maybe you should start one. Do you know any other countries?
    I know compared to most other countries America is a chit load better place to live.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree