1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 15:06
    Obviously women should be able to wesr whatever the hell they like!

That being said, it can't be ignored that the burkini looks and sounds bloody stupid.

And then the arguments I have to listen to!
    It's against terrorism...
    Really? How many burkini wearing terrorists are really a bloody problem???

Or: are the police going stop nuns from going to the beach as well?
    NOOO!!! Don't be bloody stupid, nuns don't go to the beach in full attire when it's 32 degrees!

Burkinis... Really!
    My beautiful Europe is going to pot.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 15:41
    I'm guessing you're referring to the French mayor. Yeah, that's pretty sad.

You brought up nuns; it's interesting how you never hear Christians complaining about nuns who are required to dress head-to-toe to almost the exact same extent as women in burkas; yet, they rail against burkas as oppressive.
  3. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 15:531 edit
    Originally posted by vivify

You brought up nuns; it's interesting how you never hear Christians complaining about nuns who are required to dress head-to-toe to almost the exact same extent as women in burkas; yet, they rail against burkas as oppressive.
    I think he's referring to this:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/french-police-enforce-burkini-ban-8693308#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Heavy-handed French police enforcing a 'burkini ban' forced a woman to remove her Muslim dress as she sunbathed on a beach.

Mum-of-two Siam, was approached by four officers in Nice and told to take off the baggy blue hooded top which she teamed with leggings.

The former air hostess, whose family members have been French citizens for at least three generations, said: “I wasn’t even planning to swim, just to dip my feet.”

Pictures show her soaking up the sun before being approached by the uniformed cops and surrounded. She is then seen removing the garment. It is understood she was fined the equivalent of £32 for breaking a burkini ban.

The Nice administration issued an order on Thursday banning swimwear with religious connotations, citing security concerns.

Several other cities on France’s Mediterranean and Atlantic coasts have banned burkinis this summer.

Leading officials argue that the swimwear, resembling a full-body wetsuit with a hood, oppresses women and violates France’s secular principles.

But many see the bans as discriminatory.

In court in Nice on Monday judges upheld the ‘burkini ban’ in the resort of Villeneuve-Loubet – ruling that the female swimwear was liable to cause offence and to provoke people to violence.

Two human rights groups challenged the controversial measure at the Administrative Tribunal in Nice, on the Riviera.

Apparently the irony of police officers surrounding a woman and forcing her to remove clothing so that they can save her from being oppressed is lost on the French.
  4. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 16:08
    Apparently the irony of police officers surrounding a woman and forcing her to remove clothing so that they can save her from being oppressed is lost on the French.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 17:05
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    They just want everyone to be close to nature. Especially if the female in question has a good looking body. Guys can wear a space suit if they want, no problem. It's only the women that cops have a primal urge to see as close to nude as is legal.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 17:45
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Obviously women should be able to wesr whatever the hell they like!

That being said, it can't be ignored that the burkini looks and sounds bloody stupid.

And then the arguments I have to listen to!
    It's against terrorism...
    Really? How many burkini wearing terrorists are really a bloody problem???

Or: are the police going stop nuns from going to ...[text shortened]... n full attire when it's 32 degrees!

Burkinis... Really!
    My beautiful Europe is going to pot.
    "That being said, it can't be ignored that the burkini looks and sounds bloody stupid."
    so don't wear one.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 18:23
    "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

Yeah, oppress to free from oppression. And I thought I'd heard it all.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 18:461 edit
    Three women backed by the Collective Against Islamophobia in France (CCIF) challenged the Cannes decision in court on Friday, saying it was illegal and calling for it to be suspended.

But a court in Nice rejected the request, saying the move was legal under French law forbidding people from "invoking their religious beliefs to skirt common rules regulating relations between public authorities and private individuals".

The judge noted that the Cannes ban had been declared "in the context of the state of emergency and recent Islamist attacks, notably in Nice a month ago".

"The wearing of distinctive clothing, other than that usually worn for swimming, can indeed only be interpreted in this context as a straightforward symbol of religiosity," the ruling said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/french-court-upholds-cannes-burkini-ban-155753963.html

This is the reason for the ban, its anti secular and a straightforward symbol of religiosity. I cant wait till the cops start bustin those Molvis for sporting giant beards! those things are grotesque.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 18:49
    Originally posted by vivify

cant remember the last time I saw a nun sunbathing on a beach in her full regalia.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 19:33
    I think he's referring to this:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/french-police-enforce-burkini-ban-8693308#ICID=sharebar_twitter

[i]Heavy-handed French police enforcing a 'burkini ban' forced a woman to remove her Muslim dress as she sunbathed on a beach.

Mum-of-two Siam, was approached by four officers in Nice and told to take off the bagg ...[text shortened]... ing her to remove clothing so that they can save her from being oppressed is lost on the French.
    They're thinking is so bass-ackward, it's actually amazing. Pretty scary, too. IF they can ban a religious garment because some may find it offensive, there's really no logical limit to what they can ban under that rationale.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 19:53
    Originally posted by sh76
    They're thinking is so bass-ackward, it's actually amazing. Pretty scary, too. IF they can ban a religious garment because some may find it offensive, there's really no logical limit to what they can ban under that rationale.
    They have not banned it on the premise that some find it offensive, they have banned it because, 'Beaches, like all public areas, must be protected from religious claims. The burkini is not a new range of swimwear, a fashion. It is the expression of a political project, a counter-society, based notably on the enslavement of women.'

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/806945/ban-on-islam-inspired-burkini-spreads-in-france
  12. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 19:57
    Originally posted by sh76
    It must be good going to the seaside wrapped up like it was winter .
    Logic in that ?
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 20:11
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    cant remember the last time I saw a nun sunbathing on a beach in her full regalia.
    That is because nuns are even more oppressed than Muslim women and are not allowed to go to the beach.
    I really do think that if this law is to be allowed it must be applied to nuns in equal measure and not just at the beach but in all public locations.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 20:13
    Originally posted by phil3000
    It must be good going to the seaside wrapped up like it was winter .
    Logic in that ?
    The logic in walking around nearly naked just because it is 'the beach' is actually more ridiculous. It is just as much summer in the city centre, yet try and walk around in a bikini there and you might get arrested by the exact same policemen!
  15. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 20:38
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The logic in walking around nearly naked just because it is 'the beach' is actually more ridiculous. It is just as much summer in the city centre, yet try and walk around in a bikini there and you might get arrested by the exact same policemen!
    I think that people walk around " nearly naked " on the beach is because people like to swim and sunbathe .
    Can't go swimming in the city ( climate change hasn't kicked in yet ) centre .

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree