1. RSA
    Moves
    29 Mar '17 07:38
    http://www.politico.eu/article/what-the-eu27-wants-from-brexit/

An interesting breakdown of what member states want from brexit, now that divorce day is here.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Mar '17 21:17
    Originally posted by Ashiitaka
    http://www.politico.eu/article/what-the-eu27-wants-from-brexit/

An interesting breakdown of what member states want from brexit, now that divorce day is here.
    My Facebook wall is dripping with liberal remainer tears today. I had to put one old friend on "restricted" as the volume of apocalyptic cry-babying became too much to bear.

"What about our children, what about their children, and their children's children..."

"The vote was wrong [insert bollox chart from the Independent] if you add the leavers to the didn't votes and the not entitled to votes, we have more..."

"This is a sad sad sad day for the entire world not just our brothers and sisters in Europe"

And so on a so forth, almost ad-infinitum.
  3. RSA
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 05:38
    Originally posted by divegeester
    My Facebook wall is dripping with liberal remainer tears today. I had to put one old friend on "restricted" as the volume of apocalyptic cry-babying became too much to bear.

"What about our children, what about their children, and their children's children..."

"The vote was wrong [insert bollox chart from the Independent] if you add the leavers to ...[text shortened]... orld not just our brothers and sisters in Europe"

And so on a so forth, almost ad-infinitum.
    The sweet taste of democracy is so close it is almost tangible.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 06:32
    Sadly you're about to take a bite from a worm.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 06:45
    Democracy isn't all its made out to be. We all laugh at the US situation, but here in Africa we have had far worse experiences. The only reason most of us accept democracy is we can't come up with anything better.
    I must point out, however, that the EU is democratic. It is not pure, one man one vote democracy, but then the UK isn't either. What you are gaining is not democracy but decentralisation. You are a nationalist. You have country borders as your religion. This is a common human behaviour, but it is dangerous and leads to conflict.
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 08:12
    The little Englanders have won the vote, bless their little English souls, and our Theresa, being the good, solid career politician that she is will go against her better judgement and philosophy to see to it that they get what they voted for. Which is all fair enough. The problem though with winning is that you then have to deliver, and what must now be delivered is a country (and let's include Scotland, Ireland and Wales) less divided and more at peace with itself and its' place in the world. A stronger economy would be good, too, if that can be arranged, otherwise in years to come one might wonder what the point of it all was. I have no personal ax to grind over this, (I'm as English as the next English person but live a few thousand miles away from the mother country) and am not saying that I have a monopoly on wisdom or foresight, but my instincts have always told me that 'Brexit' will be a disaster in all of the above regards. So far things aren't going very well, but of course it hasn't really happened yet, and I am quite prepared to be proved wrong, so, off you go then....
  7. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 09:551 edit
    I said it two years ago, I said it before the vote and I've said it multiple times since:

Goodbye and good riddence!
    And don't forget to close the door on your way out.

Brexit is nearly as funny as Trump.
    All the little Brexiteers waving their little flags, screaming independance... and even though they voted based on lies (the NHS will not profit, there will not be less immigration, refugees will not be deterred and the poor will not have more money to spend) and the lies were debunked by the liars the day after the vote... they still wave their little flags like turkeys proud to have voted for Christmas.

It's poetry on a base level and I love it!
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 11:23
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I said it two years ago, I said it before the vote and I've said it multiple times since:

All the little Brexiteers waving their little flags, screaming independance... and even though they voted based on lies (the NHS will not profit, ...[text shortened]... gs like turkeys proud to have voted for Christmas.

But you're Scottish right...?
  9. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 11:47
    He's a well balanced Scot ,he has a chip on both shoulders .
  10. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 12:22
    I feel more Alpine or Cote d'Azure most of the time.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 15:031 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Democracy isn't all its made out to be. We all laugh at the US situation, but here in Africa we have had far worse experiences. The only reason most of us accept democracy is we can't come up with anything better.
    I must point out, however, that the EU is democratic. It is not pure, one man one vote democracy, but then the UK isn't either. What you are g ...[text shortened]... s as your religion. This is a common human behaviour, but it is dangerous and leads to conflict.
    Britain is a country with an obvious physical boundary: the sea. Britons tend to view the rest of the world through those blinkers.

The odd thing about Britain is, Britons are more centralized (on London) than EU ever was (allegedly on Brussels).

Also, the British public tolerate much tighter restrictions on public freedoms, and much more intrusion by intelligence services, than most Europeans. Go figure.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 15:18
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Britain is a country with an obvious physical boundary: the sea.
    So Northern Ireland isn't part of Britain I take it?

Britons tend to view the rest of the world through those blinkers.
    Actually it has little or nothing to do with the sea. Almost all people in all countries are highly nationalistic wherever the boundaries might be. A few countries have more than one group in them and come pretty close to civil war - but even they tend to be very nationalistic.
  13. RSA
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 18:32
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Sadly you're about to take a bite from a worm.
    Sadly brexit opened the can of worms. We won't have to take any bite!
  14. RSA
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 18:34

All the little Brexiteers waving their little flags, screaming independance... and even though they voted based on lies (the NHS will not profit, ...[text shortened]... gs like turkeys proud to have voted for Christmas.

I hope for your sake and for the world economy that the EU doesn't sleepwalk into economic meltdown. Because that is what it looks like to me. Britain is flexible, we will adjust. The EU is not.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Mar '17 18:421 edit
    I feel more Alpine or Cote d'Azure most of the time.
    You sound like crazed jingoistic Scot to me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree