1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '16 10:14
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    That is untrue.
    But since you want to go there, I feel compelled to point out that the video, although funny, isn't going to have much effect. Seriously, if you are using date rape drugs, then you know full well that the person in question does not want sex. If you are not using date rape drugs then call an ambulance now.
    If we are not talking about the ...[text shortened]... are the type of person who forces people to have sex, a tea analogy isn't going to change that.
    "But since you want to go there, I feel compelled to point out that the video, although
    funny, isn't going to have much effect."
    it's supposed to ridicule and maybe educate those that still struggle (honestly, because of their ignorance or just upbringing) with the concept of sexual consent. It's not going to convince date rapists (or any rapist) and obviously it's not meant for them.

"If we are not talking about the 'unconscious' part of the video then I honestly don't think the rest of the video is going to actually change anyone's behaviour. If you are the type of person who forces people to have sex, a tea analogy isn't going to change that"
    it also addresses those that get offended that consent wasn't offered for whatever reasons. you missed that part.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Aug '16 13:50
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    That is untrue.
    But since you want to go there, I feel compelled to point out that the video, although funny, isn't going to have much effect. Seriously, if you are using date rape drugs, then you know full well that the person in question does not want sex. If you are not using date rape drugs then call an ambulance now.
    If we are not talking about the ...[text shortened]... are the type of person who forces people to have sex, a tea analogy isn't going to change that.
    Keep in mind that many issues of sexual consent aren't like in movies, where a man violently overpowers a sobbing woman who is screaming "no". Situations involving consent can often be more nuanced.

For example, this video brings up the idea of making someone feel guilty for wanting tea. A woman may refuse to have sex, but be made to feel guilty about doing so. If she gives in because of her guilt, some courts may not consider that illegal; yet, that may not stop a woman from feeling like she's been violated or raped. This video sheds light on aspects of consent that some people may not even consider.

So while you're right that the video won't stop an outright rapist, in may help many people think about more subtle aspects of sexual consent.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Aug '16 22:29
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    "But since you want to go there, I feel compelled to point out that the video, although
    funny, isn't going to have much effect."
    it's supposed to ridicule and maybe educate those that still struggle (honestly, because of their ignorance or just upbringing) with the concept of sexual consent. It's not going to convince date rapists (or any rapist) and obv ...[text shortened]... those that get offended that consent wasn't offered for whatever reasons. you missed that part.
    Crap. You said it already.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '16 11:44
    Originally posted by vivify
    Crap. You said it already.
    huh?
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    20 Aug '16 13:111 edit
    You pretty much said to Twhitehead the same thing I did in my reply to him. So my post was redundant.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree