1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 00:43
    Anything else intetesting going on in the world besides the election?
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 00:512 edits
    Originally posted by vivify
    Well. Kim Kardashian was attacked in Paris, Brad Pitt took a voluntary drug test, and the Usual Suspects is now available on Netflix. On the less important front, I just won my 4th game in a row since starting here, and am now up to a 1566 provisional rating. My actual playing strength is around 1450, so it's only a matter of time before someone exploits one of my many chess weakness's, and brings about complete justification to my well developed since of chess inferiority. Other than that, the sun is setting here on a beautiful day as we enter the season of mist and mellow fruitfulness. 🙂
  3. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 01:22
    I just built a solar and wind powered strobe light. Only good at nite or a dark room tho.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 01:581 edit
    Originally posted by kquinn909
    I just built a solar and wind powered strobe light. Only good at nite or a dark room tho.
    That's actually interesting.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 06:07
    How does a solar powered strobe light function at night?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 09:25
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    solar and wind powered.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 13:04
    Most solar devices utilize a battery for storage.
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 14:201 edit
    Strobe lights are typically most effective in the dark.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 15:12
    Could it be use to determine the speed of dark?
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 15:37
    Spend more time with your family. If you're not married and don't have kids, take your nephews an nieces to the zoo or a ballgame or just to the local Baskin' Robbins.

If not that, think of a business idea and start working on it. Don't worry, if you succeed, the government will only take 50%. The other 50% is yours.

Go get a good audio book and take a long walk in the crisp delicious Autumn air or go to the gym.

Go to coursera, find something interesting and take a MOOC.

No need for boredom; there's always plenty to do.
  11. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 17:58
    Originally posted by sh76
    Go get a good audio book and take a long walk in the crisp delicious Autumn air or go to the gym.
    This.

I've lost 30 lbs in the last three-ish months through intermittent fasting and looong walks in the woods. Life is better. As soon as the rain shows up I'll have to switch to racquetball or something because I have 20 lbs to go. Also, try not reading this retarded forum. I've not been able to quit for some reason, but I'm sure I'd be happier for it.
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 19:451 edit
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    This.

I've lost 30 lbs in the last three-ish months through intermittent fasting and looong walks in the woods. Life is better. As soon as the rain shows up I'll have to switch to racquetball or something because I have 20 lbs to go. Also, try not reading this retarded forum. I've not been able to quit for some reason, but I'm sure I'd be happier for it.
    Eh, as long as you keep it to a few minutes (a few being maybe 20) a day, it's not a big deal.

Congrats on the weight loss. Keep it up! I lost 20 lbs last Fall and I feel amazing. I've also improved my tennis game just by being lighter. The same guys I was evenly matched with last year I beat steadily this year.

Even up in Oregon, the rain shouldn't stop you from walking. Get a good jacket with a hood and as long as it's just misting, walking can be doable, even pleasant. The only thing that needs to stop you is a steady downpour and that doesn't happen all day very often, even in the great Pacific Northwest.

I love the cloudy and cool Fall weather. Very pleasant walking weather. In the winter it can be even better if you have a good coat and gloves where walking quickly for 20 minutes warms up your body so that cold temps don't really bother you. It's only in the sticky summer mess that walking is unpleasant and even then, waiting until 10 or 11 at night usually makes it bearable.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Sep '16 21:55

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    30 Sep '16 14:47
    Russia is trying to reform the UN. To the Western nations it seems like a good idea to have a one world dictatorship with those entities in control that are responsible for most of the wars of the past couple of centuries and the cause of government sponsored terrorism. Russia has been shunned for the most part in having any say in international policies with this organization and Putin is using Judo politics in trying to make changes. In other words he has been not condeming the UN but attempting to use its momentum against itself. Clever man this Putin is. Interesting how he used the same tactics to enter Syria using the momentum of the "war against terror". It makes it a little difficult to see what he believes in when speaks and we can only hope they will be part of a check in world power.
  15. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    02 Oct '16 02:04
    Originally posted by sh76
    Eh, as long as you keep it to a few minutes (a few being maybe 20) a day, it's not a big deal.

Congrats on the weight loss. Keep it up! I lost 20 lbs last Fall and I feel amazing. I've also improved my tennis game just by being lighter. The same guys I was evenly matched with last year I beat steadily this year.

Even up in Oregon, the rain shouldn't stop ...[text shortened]... walking is unpleasant and even then, waiting until 10 or 11 at night usually makes it bearable.
    Thanks. Yeah I can deal with the rain, but I'm going to have find trails that don't turn to mud. I did about 7 miles out there today and it was already starting to get muddy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree