1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 07:39
    Dear Republicans - You and your beloved President have been attacking the media quite a lot recently. President Trump even tweeted the media was "the enemy of the American people" Well, I have news for you. The framers of our Constitution agreed that Freedom Of The Press was to be one of our fundamental rights as Americans, it's been the law of our land for over 200 years and that's not going to change for anyone...not even Donald Trump and his supporters. The same law that gives President Trump the right to "tweet" anything he wants, gives the media the right to write what they want. So stop this silly attacking of the media. You're only hurting yourself.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/17/business/trump-calls-the-news-media-the-enemy-of-the-people.html
  2. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 11:441 edit
    Sean Spicer must love it when Trump takes to Twitter. Now his next press briefing will be about, "Who is a bigger enemy to the American people, the American media or Vladimir Putin?"

Edit; Hopefully Spicer will reply, "Hey guys remember when Obama tapped your phones?"
  3. Germany
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 11:49
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Sean Spicer must love it when Trump takes to Twitter. Now his next press briefing will be about, "Who is a bigger enemy to the American people, the American media or Vladimir Putin?"
    Apparently the Kremlin has told Russian media to tone down their praise of Trump. Very dishonest. Sad!
  4. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 12:37
    Originally posted and implied by Sleepyguy,s post
    ........."Who is a bigger enemy to the American people (who voted for Trump), the American media or Vladimir Putin?".......
    Apparently facts, and the technology to disseminate it instantly.
  5. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 13:07

Edit; Hopefully Spicer will reply, "Hey guys remember when Obama tapped your phones?"
    So has Trump put a stop to phone tapping? Was that one of his executive orders on taking office?
  6. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 13:15
    Originally posted by finnegan
    So has Trump put a stop to phone tapping? Was that one of his executive orders on taking office?
    If he did he would not know. Apparently Steve Bannon has him thinking he is signing off on the executive dining tab.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 13:25
    Originally posted by mchill
    Dear Republicans - You and your beloved President have been attacking the media quite a lot recently. President Trump even tweeted the media was "the enemy of the American people" Well, I have news for you. The framers of our Constitution agreed that Freedom Of The Press was to be one of our fundamental rights as Americans, it's been the law of our land for o ...[text shortened]... ps://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/17/business/trump-calls-the-news-media-the-enemy-of-the-people.html
    When you have pravda you don't have free press.

Thank God for fake news.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 13:34
    Originally posted by Eladar
    When you have pravda you don't have free press.

Thank God for fake news.
    Even Fox is Pravda.
  9. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 13:41
    Originally posted by finnegan
    I have no faith that Trump will behave more ethically or constitutionally than Obama. I'm not carrying his water, thanks. But it's entertaining watching him move the window and the press freaking out over it. At the end of the process all will agree that the press are not really enemies, just liars. Then Trump can do that finger gun move, give a little smile, yuk yuk. Mischief managed. Next!
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 13:57
    I have no faith that Trump will behave more ethically or constitutionally than Obama. I'm not carrying his water, thanks. But it's entertaining watching him move the window and the press freaking out over it. At the end of the process all will agree that the press are not really enemies, just liars. Then Trump can do that finger gun move, give a little smile, yuk yuk. Mischief managed. Next!
    How could Trump act less constitutionally than Obama?

Ethically is in the eyes of the beholder.
  11. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 14:41
    Originally posted by Eladar
    How could Trump act less constitutionally than Obama?

Ethically is in the eyes of the beholder.
    Yes. We're a month in. Let us behold. Can you do so without bias? Can I? This guy may do wonders or just be a wrecking ball. He lies a lot, wings it with the cameras rolling, and is addicted to the Media coverage he claims to abhor. He is loathed by half the country and most of the world and he loves it. He could become Chavez. So behold and don't blink.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 18:02
    Yes. We're a month in. Let us behold. Can you do so without bias? Can I? This guy may do wonders or just be a wrecking ball. He lies a lot, wings it with the cameras rolling, and is addicted to the Media coverage he claims to abhor. He is loathed by half the country and most of the world and he loves it. He could become Chavez. So behold and don't blink.
    Most of what you wrote sounds like Obama.

Obama's handlers kept him on script, doubt they can do that with Trump.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 18:061 edit
    Dear Republicans - You and your beloved President have been attacking the media quite a lot recently. President Trump even tweeted the media was "the enemy of the American people" Well, I have news for you. The framers of our Constitution agreed that Freedom Of The Press was to be one of our fundamental rights as Americans, it's been the law of our land for o ...[text shortened]... ps://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/17/business/trump-calls-the-news-media-the-enemy-of-the-people.html
    The press is as free as the person writing their checks makes it.

How many are funded by George Soros do you reckon? I don't know the exact number, but it is pretty much everything that is out there.

Any ideas?

As for the freedom of the press, when has Trump ever suggested limiting the press? Is he not free to comment on their alleged dishonesty? If Trump is not free to do this, it is you who are against the freedom of speech, not Trump.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 18:09
    While I wholeheartedly agree with the necessity of a free press to maintain transparency in a democratic process, without any question or objection on any significant front, the bulk of what passes as media in the world has fallen under the sway of agenda-driven people and groups.
    We do not currently have a free press, but rather a bought-and-paid-for press.
    Sadly, we're getting bits and pieces of truth in the form of disinformation, while the lion's share of truth being disseminated is unregulated and untamed.
    Could be our current iteration of news sources is what was intended: none of them are to be trusted without question.
  15. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 19:032 edits
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    While I wholeheartedly agree with the necessity of a free press to maintain transparency in a democratic process, without any question or objection on any significant front, the bulk of what passes as media in the world has fallen under the sway of agenda-driven people and groups.
    We do not currently have a free press, but rather a bought-and-paid-for pre ...[text shortened]... iteration of news sources is what was intended: none of them are to be trusted without question.
    The reliability of the press to (in general) accurately relay info has never really been in question until Trump ran for office. True, people would criticize the press from time to time for sensationalism or putting ratings before fact; but never has the press been considered more of a liability than an asset.

Obviously, a President who gets more negative press than positive would decry that same medium. Based on how Trump relished his poll numbers during the primaries, he'd be praising the press if they had a positive view of him. Why else does Trump hold Brietbart and InfoWars (two conservative news outlets with a favorable opinion of him) in such high regard? Aren't they the "media" as well?

Republcians aren't sincere when they criticize the press. Their only criteria for the media's value is whether or not it makes them look good.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree