1. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    21 Jan '17 04:52
    Originally posted by whodey
    William McCovey was pardoned for tax evasion. For those who don't know, he was a baseball player who made around $80,000 in in autographs and such.

So does this send message that the tax laws are too harsh or does it send the message that the President of the US simply enjoys showing partiality to certain Americans over others?
    The practice of not reporting the income of these shows and memorabilia had been common for decades and the IRS had mostly looked the other way unless cases fell into their lap. But it became so widespread it became a serious problem and the IRS decided they needed to make a few examples to send a message, and apparently worked. McCovey was reportedly very cooperative where he could have made the investigation extremely difficult - I don't remember the details. And he was very contrite to point that the prosecution itself felt bad that he was getting nailed when so many less savory players were getting away with it. But the message was sent and the practice has been reduced considerably. My understanding is that the investigators and prosecutors themselves recommended the pardon.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jan '17 21:141 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard memberDeputy Daddy
    Willing to Learn
    New Hampshire
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 03:56
    Treason during war time is punishable by death. He is very lucky to have not faced the firing squad or the needle.
  4. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 06:10
    Originally posted by Deputy Daddy
    Treason during war time is punishable by death. He is very lucky to have not faced the firing squad or the needle.
    The elements of treason weren't present in her case. An element is to "levy war against the states or adhere to their enemies." That an act, lawful or not, aids an enemy is not enough. Her intent to war against the US or join an enemy was required. That wasn't her intent.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Jan '17 03:27

6. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Jan '17 03:30

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree