1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    18 May '16 13:08
    I think it's pretty well settled that the battle over homosexual rights is over. Sure, there may be the issue of enforcement of discrimination laws against individuals who discriminate on that basis, but at least in the US, there's no more serious opposition in principle to equal rights for same sex couples.

Now at almost the outset of the transgender "battle" a poll finds that *Republicans* are evenly split on whether the (silly, IMO) issue of transgender bathroom usage.
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/09/politics/poll-transgender-bathroom-law-north-carolina/

You also don't see any Republican leaders making a big deal of the issue, a Curt Schilling meme here and there notwithstanding.

So, is that it? Will cultural or social issues no longer be a major part of American politics?

Keep in mind, that it's very possible that just 12 years ago, the issue of same sex marriage cost John Kerry the presidency.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/14275/moral-values-important-2004-exit-polls.aspx

The only issue I do see hanging on to the national spotlight is abortion.
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 May '16 13:55
    Originally posted by sh76
    I think it's pretty well settled that the battle over homosexual rights is over. Sure, there may be the issue of enforcement of discrimination laws against individuals who discriminate on that basis, but at least in the US, there's no more serious opposition in principle to equal rights for same sex couples.

Now at almost the outset of the transgender "battl ...[text shortened]... 004-exit-polls.aspx

It seems like there are always issues. Here are a few off the top of head: glass ceilings in the corporate world, affirmative action, women in the military, religious objections to Obamacare, national standards on education.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 May '16 13:56

Now at almost the outset of the transgender "battl ...[text shortened]... 004-exit-polls.aspx

I personally don't understand why the state is even involved in marriage.

I suppose you have polygamists who may want to marry but by in large they are unable to throw vast amounts of money at the establishment to obtain their "rights" because they are raising large families, so I don't seem them ever getting to marry.

The only hope for polygamists are if gays fight for their polygamist rights
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 May '16 14:09
    "Right to die" will become a bigger issue as the boomers age. We haven't reached the tipping point yet. The current laws allowing it generally have conditions and exceptions that exclude large numbers of people and the issues are complex.

Example: quote:

"Let’s not forget, though, that there is a large group of terminally ill patients who do not get this choice. These are people who suffer from dementia, strokes, brain tumors, kidney failure, Parkinson’s disease and other illnesses that impair their ability to make decisions or swallow medication, leaving them ineligible for the End of Life Option Act. A look at our current patients suggests that more than two-thirds will not be able to participate in the new law should they want to."

The entire piece is at

http://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/article/Prepare-for-California-s-end-of-life-law-7466053.php
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    18 May '16 14:381 edit
    Originally posted by quackquack
    It seems like there are always issues. Here are a few off the top of head: glass ceilings in the corporate world, affirmative action, women in the military, religious objections to Obamacare, national standards on education.
    None of those are really social issues. They're economic or socio-economic.

For example, "glass ceilings" may be presented as an issue of social justice, but it's really about how involved the government should be in dictating corporate promotion and pay policy.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    18 May '16 14:41
    Originally posted by JS357
    "Right to die" will become a bigger issue as the boomers age. We haven't reached the tipping point yet. The current laws allowing it generally have conditions and exceptions that exclude large numbers of people and the issues are complex.

Example: quote:

"Let’s not forget, though, that there is a large group of terminally ill patients who do not get this ...[text shortened]...
    http://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/article/Prepare-for-California-s-end-of-life-law-7466053.php
    I don't know if that's big enough to become a wedge issue. Are you really going to have a national fight over it? It may very well reach the tipping point, but I don't know if the people will pay all that much attention to it.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 May '16 15:15
    I don't know if that's big enough to become a wedge issue. Are you really going to have a national fight over it? It may very well reach the tipping point, but I don't know if the people will pay all that much attention to it.
    Don't tell me they will have to start focusing on fiscal issues to talk about. That might as well all hang themselves now. 😵
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 May '16 16:28
    Pity.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 May '16 16:32
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Now there is a gay 4 star general leading a US army corps and a woman general leading a combat corp so a couple notches down.
  10. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    18 May '16 21:08

When our technology starts dreaming of electric sheep, then we will have another huge social issue on our hands.
  11. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    20 May '16 09:371 edit

It's too soon to tell. In a country that can elevate the Kardashians to the level of goddess, anything is possible. 😞

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree