2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Jan '16 01:16
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    [youtube]j5Y8OrdMoDk[/youtube]
    "Ray Scudero 1946-2005 RIP"

"Ray Scudero, songwriter, singer and luthier, died on December 3, 2005, after a long illness.

Born in Brooklyn, New York, Ray lived for some twenty years in Israel, where he came to feel most at home. His multi-faceted talents turned him into a pillar of the local folk music community.

Ray's songs have touched the hearts of many. They are often witty and erudite, never pretentious, and sometimes simply poignant or stirring. Above all, they reflect the deep humanity of their author. It was no small tribute to his songwriting gifts that the folk community in Israel
    presented a wonderfully varied five-hour concert on New Year's Eve 2003 that showcased Scudero songs alone.

Ray is survived by his wife, a son and two stepsons.

Both With the Help of Angels and Ray's second album, Poor Working Slob (www.cdbaby.com/scudero2), contain many of the songs that have made him so popular and loved within the English-speaking folk community in Israel. They also provide a good deal of insight into the man, his feelings and his love of life. Both Ray and Joanna waited over forty years to meet each other, and have been struck with this sadness after knowing each other for only three years.

Below, you will find more information about this CD, and about Ray himself..." http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/scudero

"Good Morning, Jerusalem - Shabbat Shalom"

YouTube

sonhouse, this man's voice is one of the most masculine and resonant it's ever been my pleasure to hear. And he departed this life at such an early age.
    Thank you, my friend, with condolences on your personal loss. ~Bob
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Jan '16 17:596 edits
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"Ray Scudero 1946-2005 RIP"

"Ray Scudero, songwriter, singer and luthier, died on December 3, 2005, after a long illness.

Born in Brooklyn, New York, Ray lived for some twenty years in Israel, where he came to feel most at home. His multi-faceted talents turned him into a pillar of the local folk music community.

Ray's songs have touc ...[text shortened]... life at such an early age.
    Thank you, my friend, with condolences on your personal loss. ~Bob[/b]
    Thank you. He was best friend to me and my wife also. He was a genius. He was a luthier also, he made a guitar for me, a guitar for my son Kevin and a really unique dulcimer for my wife Susan. We treasure those instruments.

The dulcimer was very interesting from a design perspective.

If you ever heard of the Hardanger fiddle, from Norway, it has the regular 4 strings of a normal violin but inside there are 4 more tuned to certain notes and only respond by the resonance of the main strings being bowed. They are never touched directly.

That is what Ray made for Susan, a dulcimer, the Appalachian lap dulcimer to be exact but with 4 internal resonating strings. As far as I know, it is the only one on the Planet.

Priceless to us of course.

Here is Aaron Thorton, Louisiana state dulcimer champ playing a piece on the dulcimer:

YouTube

And Stephen Seifert playing Angel Band, a very nice tune. John McCutcheon sings a great version of this hymn.

YouTube

Maybe the same guy, playing 'Further along' one of my favorite hymns. He also give a bit of a tutorial at the end of the piece.

YouTube
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Jan '16 07:06
    Thank you. He was best friend to me and my wife also. He was a genius. He was a luthier also, he made a guitar for me, a guitar for my son Kevin and a really unique dulcimer for my wife Susan. We treasure those instruments.

The dulcimer was very interesting from a design perspective.

If you ever heard of the Hardanger fiddle, from Norway, it has the ...[text shortened]... ns. He also give a bit of a tutorial at the end of the piece.

[youtube]_G3VuG8E384[/youtube]
    "Maybe the same guy, playing 'Further along' one of my favorite hymns."
    _________

Absolutely beautiful.
  5. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 05:18
    My condolences, sonhouse.
  6. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 05:32
    Sorry for your loss
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jan '16 13:29
    Originally posted by gregsflat
    Sorry for your loss
    Thank you everyone. He was unique. How many people EVER wrote 600 songs? Or built musical instruments as unique as his? We did a summer with my family going back home to the US on vacation and we discovered we could cut piezo material with scissors and come up with shapes rectangular and skinny and still be used as an acoustic pickup for instruments. Regular piezo's are usually round, size of a quarter of size of a dime, used mainly in Sonalert buzzers for alarm sounds.

I made one cutting a round piezo with scissors that I used on a mandolin I play to this day. It sounds really good going through an amp. It ended up being about 1/2 inch long and 1/8th inch wide and it fit nicely on the mandolin bridge so didn't need to be touching the mandolin proper. Great summer of discovery. What a loss.
  8. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Jan '16 13:00
    Sorry to hear that.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 08:43
    If you ever heard of the Hardanger fiddle, from Norway, it has the regular 4 strings of a normal violin but inside there are 4 more tuned to certain notes and only respond by the resonance of the main strings being bowed. They are never touched directly.

That is what Ray made for Susan, a dulcimer, the Appalachian lap dulcimer to be exact but with 4 internal resonating strings. As far as I know, it is the only one on the Planet.
    That is really genius!

My condolences for your loss. A loss for all of us, really.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Mar '16 19:37
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    That is really genius!

My condolences for your loss. A loss for all of us, really.
    Yes it was, a loss for mankind.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree