1. UK
    Moves
    29 Jun '15 16:11
    I've just picke dup a couple of games against someone who already have over 1200 active games. They seem pretty new as a subscriber.

I just cannot comprehend how this cannot end with loads of timeouts!

What the highest number of games you've had at once, or have seen an opponent has running?
  2. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    29 Jun '15 16:23
    65 for me, and that was more than enough!

I know Zorro the fox always has plenty of games in progress, currently on 1,174 (at time of writing!)
  3. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    30 Jun '15 02:21
    Originally posted by BaronVonChickenpants
    I've just picke dup a couple of games against someone who already have over 1200 active games. They seem pretty new as a subscriber.

What the highest number of games you've had at once, or have seen an opponent has running?
    I usually have around 1000 going at once. I have had 14 timeouts in over 17000 games.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    30 Jun '15 02:34

I hit my record of 165 recently. But those are 3/7. When I used to do 60-80 1/0's, that felt like a heavier load.
  5. Subscriberjoesheppe
    Lesser Poobah
    Northern California
    Moves
    30 Jun '15 03:35
    The thing I've always wondered about is why people who have a ton of games going simul don't appear to improve very much if at all in the end. Is that some kind of serious short-term memory or what?!
  6. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    30 Jun '15 04:21
    for some, who have a lot of games going on, it is a form of blitz chess
    they may spend only a few seconds per move
    although it will not produce the best of chess, it is fun
    you should try it
  7. Joined
    15 Aug '12
    Moves
    30 Jun '15 06:25

I do not like to play over 20, especially if they are strong opponents. I rarely play slower than 7/7 though and the timeframe really factors in. I think the most I've played at once on here was around 25-it wasn't preferred by me.
  8. Sydney
    Moves
    30 Jun '15 06:38
    Originally posted by joesheppe
    The thing I've always wondered about is why people who have a ton of games going simul don't appear to improve very much if at all in the end. Is that some kind of serious short-term memory or what?!
    I've noticed a couple of players averaging 300+ moves a day over several years. The mind boggles. Let's say they spend only 30sec per move - even with quick opening moves it's hard to imagine less with page reload for the next board etc and the occasional scratch - that's about 2.5-3hrs of mechanical chess per day. Over years.

Imagine they used that time to actually learn and improve.
  9. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    30 Jun '15 18:48
    Originally posted by King Tiger
    I do not like to play over 20, especially if they are strong opponents. I rarely play slower than 7/7 though and the timeframe really factors in. I think the most I've played at once on here was around 25-it wasn't preferred by me.
    I don't play faster than 7:7.
    The theory behind this is I can have 30 or so games on the go without having any time pressure.
    30 or so active games also means that when I log on there's usually a games there where it's my move.
    It's not often I clear my waiting games but I've never lost a game by timeout and the only time I use up any timebank is when I'm on holiday
  10. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    01 Jul '15 11:57
    More games = better value per dollar imo
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Jul '15 15:52

I'm not a subscriber, and this is part of the reason. I am allowed to have six games at once, but usually only have three or four. That's enough for me.
    Once, I entered a non-sub tournament Russ set up to lure us non-subs into the fold, and all of a sudden I had nine or ten games or so going on at once - three tournament opponents times two games each, plus the couple I had going before I entered. I was swamped, that was just too many games for me to keep apart. I lost ignominously in the first round. At least the tournament taught me that I don't need a subscription... 😕

Mind you, I can see why some people do like to have more games going at a time. If you don't get them confused, sure, why not. But hundreds? I'm sure those players' ratings suffer, and not just their ratings, but their game in general.
  12. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    01 Jul '15 18:041 edit

I used to have about 25 games going at once, but have reduced it to 6 or less. I don't see the sense in having a game load of more than 10-15. Big game loads spreads one's energies too thin, causes burn out, and results in lower quality moves, since a player cannot spend much time on any one position (no matter how complex). Since reducing my game load, my pathetic rating is now rising rather than falling. 😏
  13. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    01 Jul '15 19:04
    I usually try to keep 15-25 games going. My rule of thumb is I should have a general idea of how I got to the current position. Which opening was played, how I lost a piece, how I gained a piece, what was my plan last move etc. If I can't remember then I have too many games. How can you learn if you don't remember your blunders?

I think many with large game loads do it to help their clan. Which ever clan participates in the most clan challenges is going to do well. The system rewards quantity over quality.
  14. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    02 Jul '15 03:091 edit

I have absolutely no idea how anyone with hundreds of games can keep track and do themselves justice in each game. I'm max-ed out with 20 games!!
    I set off a thread recently - called 'losing points' which addresses this. With a bit of a moan attached....
  15. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    02 Jul '15 13:44
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47
    I usually try to keep 15-25 games going. My rule of thumb is I should have a general idea of how I got to the current position. Which opening was played, how I lost a piece, how I gained a piece, what was my plan last move etc. If I can't remember then I have too many games. How can you learn if you don't remember your blunders?
    That's actually a valuable rule of thumb. But even with my usually about 6 games ongoing, I can't remember more than a few moves deep in the past. Maybe it's because I prefer the slower 7/7 games, but I can't keep up with a faster pace. I used to play 3/7, but then I started thinking. 😉

Any opinions on how important it is to remember past moves?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree