1. Joined
    15 Apr '05
    Moves
    20 Jun '15 18:33
    I'm looking for chessmovies with dutch subtitles, movies like searching for bobby fisher, the dark horse etc. Films must be suitable for children. I'm a chesstrainer an d like to show my students a movie now and then. Copy's are also welcome if not damaged.
  2. Joined
    23 Apr '15
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 05:59
    are there even movies about chess๐Ÿ™„
  3. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 21:23
    There is a film that I have been waiting for for sometime... finished sometime last year.

It is called 'Pawn Sacrifice' and revolves around the 1972 world championship match between Bobby Fischer and Boris Spassky.
    It is released very soon, I've read around September this year.

With the actors they have in it (including Spidermans' Tobey Maguire) it promises to be a good 'un. ๐Ÿ™‚
  4. Joined
    08 Feb '15
    Moves
    18 Jul '15 02:03
    I just watched the trailer.. hope it's good.
  5. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    18 Jul '15 14:421 edit
    Originally posted by peka
    I'm looking for chessmovies with dutch subtitles, movies like searching for bobby fisher, the dark horse etc. Films must be suitable for children. I'm a chesstrainer an d like to show my students a movie now and then. Copy's are also welcome if not damaged.
    The Great Chess Movie - 1982 I believe. It can be found on you tube once in awhile. It highlights players of that era. Karpov, Korchnoi, Fischer, Timman Ljubojevic etc. in a cold war setting. I'm sure a DVD can be found with some research. I really like this movie, but it's become difficult to find.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Chess_Movie
  6. Standard memberAmaurote
    No Name Maddox
    County Doledrum
    Moves
    18 Jul '15 19:32
    Perhaps not for children, but one of the most interesting TV movies about chess is Columbo: The Most Dangerous Match: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069906/

Bookwise, there's Nabokov's The Defence, which isn't his best, but made a suitably effective film: YouTube

Lastly, you could always show them what is almost certainly the worst portrayal of chess in a film, as portrayed by Kurt Russell and an Apple II in The Thing:

YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree