1. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    19 Jun '15 16:411 edit
    Hi,

I recently played in my first RHP tournament: the trial for non-subs that was created around Christmas. I survived the first round against a much weaker opponent, and then was drawn against the highest rated participator and lost both games. This was no surprise because of his rating being significantly higher (2326 vs. mine 1754).

Here are the games:
    My white game:

My black game:

I don't think I played badly, because I just lost a pawn and managed to reach the endgame in both of them. Could any of you please tell me where I was missing something? I asked my opponent, but he wasn't responsive. General tips I could use right now are also welcome of course. I feel to get lost in the tactical complexity of the opening.

Thanks.
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    19 Jun '15 16:53
    Originally posted by tvochess
    Hi,

I recently played in my first RHP tournament: the trial for non-subs that was created around Christmas. I survived the first round against a much weaker opponent, and then was drawn against the highest rated participator and lost both games. This was no surprise because of his rating being significantly higher (2326 vs. mine 1754).

Here are the ga ...[text shortened]... also welcome of course. I feel to get lost in the tactical complexity of the opening.

Thanks.
    In the first game, 13.h3? missed his threat of ...Bxf3 followed by winning a free center pawn (it encouraged him to do something he already wanted to do!) Give a master a free center pawn and you might as well resign.
  3. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    19 Jun '15 17:366 edits
    Yes, there was an error there by me. I think I actually wanted him to trade off the knight, because I thought his c6 knight was pinned to the queen. Alas, I missed that 12..Rac8 had removed that pin.

Position after 12..Rac8:

What is the alternative? I can only think of dxc5 in order not to lose the pawn. Yet, this still leads to an awkward doubling of pawns on the c-file. Probably, my play before that must have contained some error as well. But I don't know where of what?

Furthermore, anything to be said about the rest of the game. I tried to hold on as long as I could, because I know in some endings a pawn is not enough to win (or to win easily).

What about the other game?

Thanks a lot!
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    19 Jun '15 21:563 edits
    Yes, there was an error there by me. I think I actually wanted him to trade off the knight, because I thought his c6 knight was pinned to the queen. Alas, I missed that 12..Rac8 had removed that pin.

Position after 12..Rac8:
    [fen]2r2rk1/ppq1ppbp/2n2np1/2p5/3PP1b1/2P1BN2/P1Q1BPPP/R2R2K1[/fen]

What is the alternative? I can only think of dxc5 in order ...[text shortened]... a pawn is not enough to win (or to win easily).

What about the other game?

Thanks a lot!
    I'd consider first 13.d5!? or even 13.e5?! before I'd play 13.dxc5, helping black open up the long diagonal for that Bishop.

Edit: In the other game, you were already in deep trouble following the exchange of Be6. Maybe 12...Bc8!? and you've got attacking those doubled c-pawns to look forward to later?
  5. e4
    Moves
    19 Jun '15 23:461 edit
    HI,

The first game I think h3 to stop Bg4 is some kind of Grunfeld theory.
    Black was always going to play Bxf3 so forcing it was a waste of tempo.
    Rb1 getting the Rook off Bg7 diagonal looked better.

Thought you were right taking it to an opposite coloured Bishop game but the
    plan is if you cannot get an oppo Bishop attack going then chop Queens.

Game 2.

fxe6 instead of Qxe6 have the open file double on it with Rf7. don't worry about doubled
    e-pawns and the two Bishops you can always play Nf4 he cannot let a Knight stay there.
    So he will have to play Bxf4, You can take back with the a pawn or Rook.

After the Queens come off I'm not liking Rook back to e8. Too passive.
    I can see the idea you want to challenge the d-file. You will have to play b6
    so play it and if plays Rd7 then Re7. If he does not play Rd7 then there are
    enough targets on the Queenside for the Rooks to stay active.

Edit:
    I cannot go along with 12...Bc8 I think Qe7 is nearly forced because of the coming Rd1.
    After 12...Bc8 13.Rd1 and c4 is a big threat.
  6. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    22 Jun '15 13:53
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I'd consider first 13.d5!? or even 13.e5?! before I'd play 13.dxc5, helping black open up the long diagonal for that Bishop.

I'm always afraid of doing d5 or e5 moves (as white) because I think I may overextend and my pawns will fall apart.

d5!? means that d5 seems strong, but may be dubious, while
    e5?! means that e5 seems dubious, but is actually strong, right?

This pawn movement stuff is currently the most difficult part that I face in chess. The same happens in pawn attacks and pawn endgames. Mine always seems so weak, while my opponents pawns cause me trouble.
  7. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    22 Jun '15 14:00
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    In the other game, you were already in deep trouble following the exchange of Be6. Maybe 12...Bc8!? and you've got attacking those doubled c-pawns to look forward to later?
    I read 12..Rc8 here at first, which is in line with the c-pawn attacking idea. Did you really mean 12..Bc8, because I don't get how this attacks the doubled c-pawns? I guess your suggestion 12..Bc8 also says that 11..Be6 was a mistake?

8. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    22 Jun '15 14:12
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Game 2.

fxe6 instead of Qxe6 have the open file double on it with Rf7. don't worry about doubled
    e-pawns and the two Bishops you can always play Nf4 he cannot let a Knight stay there.
    So he will have to play Bxf4, You can take back with the a pawn or Rook.

After the Queens come off I'm not liking Rook back to e8. Too passive.
    I can see the idea ...[text shortened]... not play Rd7 then there are
    enough targets on the Queenside for the Rooks to stay active.
    yes, his weak pawns on the queenside kept me motivated, but I never seemed to be able to launch an attack on them. b6 with the ideas you suggest seems reasonable.

The more I think to know about chess, the harder this game becomes. How frustrating this game must be for grandmasters! 😛

Where's the time I could just sneak in some tactical attack which my opponent would miss? Now, they have already blocked that opportunity before I can think of it! And they even do sneaky things and put pieces on smart places. It's unfair 😲 😉
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    23 Jun '15 23:13
    I read 12..Rc8 here at first, which is in line with the c-pawn attacking idea. Did you really mean 12..Bc8, because I don't get how this attacks the doubled c-pawns? I guess your suggestion 12..Bc8 also says that 11..Be6 was a mistake?

[fen]r2q1rk1/pp3ppp/2n1b3/2Nnp3/8/2PB1Q2/P1P2PPP/R1B2RK1[/fen]
    I did mean ...Bc8, but that wasn't a very good suggestion. You're better off listening to GP on that game.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree