1. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    03 May '15 09:52
    I know this subject has been covered hundreds of times, but here we go again. Im being hassled by an opponent to resign, and I refuse to do so. Would you resign just because your getting told to, or would you play on just to annoy them.
  2. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    03 May '15 10:21
    Resignation benefits the losing player, not the winning one. If you feel you are getting something from the game, or there is still a chance (however slim) of a draw, you are totally justified in continuing. The wishes of the winning player, whether expressed or not, are irrelevant.
  3. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    03 May '15 10:26
    Ooooh, if they're hassling you, then use that clock right up 😀
    If they no like it, they resign, simplez!
  4. perth WA
    Moves
    03 May '15 12:00
    You have to judge how hopeless your position is......don`t take an opponents pressure to make up your mind...... I once had a game in which I asked a player to resign as he was material down and in a hopeless position. He checkmated me 3 moves later.......
  5. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    03 May '15 12:01
    If anyone was telling me to resign I would string the game out as long as I possibly could, however bad my position, just to annoy the hell out of them. And I might report them for harassing me.
  6. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    03 May '15 12:45
    I dont want to talk about the game as it is still ongoing obviously, but just to say that I do feel I do have a slim chance of a draw.
  7. e4
    Moves
    03 May '15 12:56
    I'd just ignore them and carry on.

You could say if you offer me a draw I will resign...
    ...and should he fall for it click the accept draw button. 🙂
  8. Joined
    22 Feb '10
    Moves
    03 May '15 13:34
    Originally posted by steve45
    I dont want to talk about the game as it is still ongoing obviously, but just to say that I do feel I do have a slim chance of a draw.
    By all means, play on. How else will you practice obtaining that draw?
  9. SubscriberZorroTheFox
    MAP since 090214!
    Round Rock, TX
    Moves
    03 May '15 19:00
    The game is not over until you say it is over (paraphrasing Yogi Berra) either by resigning, losing on time, or getting checkmated. Like others have said, just ignore your opponent's comment and keep on playing. I like for my opponent to "earn" his/her win. If your opponent says you have a lost game by asking you to resign, just let him/her prove it. So, keep on playing until it is over.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 May '15 19:14
    My guess is it's the game you V Plopzilla.
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 May '15 19:42
    I know this subject has been covered hundreds of times, but here we go again. Im being hassled by an opponent to resign, and I refuse to do so. Would you resign just because your getting told to, or would you play on just to annoy them.
    I never let an opponent tell me how to handle anything on my side of the game, and I never tell them how to handle their side.
  12. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    03 May '15 20:58
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    My guess is it's the game you V Plopzilla.
    Thats the one
  13. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    04 May '15 09:30
    Originally posted by ZorroTheFox
    The game is not over until you say it is over (paraphrasing Yogi Berra) either by resigning, losing on time, or getting checkmated. Like others have said, just ignore your opponent's comment and keep on playing. I like for my opponent to "earn" his/her win. If your opponent says you have a lost game by asking you to resign, just let him/her prove it. So, keep on playing until it is over.
    Amen
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 May '15 02:26
    Bad manners to even ask you to resign. Can you imagine that OTB?!??!

I'd forgive him once but a second time and he would have to check-mate me.

Resign when you want to.
  15. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    05 May '15 15:19
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Bad manners to even ask you to resign. Can you imagine that OTB?!??!

I'd forgive him once but a second time and he would have to check-mate me.

Resign when [b]you
    want to.[/b]
    It was three separate occasions, but Ive told him that his chess ettiqutte is very very poor. So I got my message over to him. Thanks to everyone for all your supportive messages.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree