Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    20 Apr '15 10:54
    chess author and international master
  2. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    21 Apr '15 09:58
    I remember him as an incredibly strong player in the 1980s and 1990s, before he had a stroke. I once saw him get to a king, bishop and knight ending against a fellow IM and Colin polished it off with impeccable technique in about twenty seconds flat! The stroke affected his eyesight (though I don't think he was completely blind) and he was never among the top tier of British players after that.
  3. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    21 Apr '15 16:49
    Yes, very sad to hear.
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    22 Apr '15 00:43
    I had the opportunity to talk books and authors with GM Lars Bo Hansen, and he mentioned that he liked IM Crouch's books- in particular he liked Crouch's annotating style with lots of verbal explanations instead of just lines of analysis. I think the words "lucid" and "cogent" were used.
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    22 Apr '15 21:06
    Oh that's sad. I've actually played in a very low league cup competition against a junior side with Colin on board one (i was deposed from playing him unfortunately, but we won the match on the lower boards..went on to win the cup as it happens..)

He was very active and generous with his time, especially with the children. Pinner juniors will never be the same again, i'm sure in the future he will be remembered for his contribution to chess. Rest in Peace to lovely man.
  6. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    07 May '15 15:15
    Sad to learn this. I enjoy his style of writing. Will have to pick up one of his books again. RIP, Mr. Crouch.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree