1. Joined
    12 Jun '13
    Moves
    11 Apr '15 13:276 edits
    I'm being dense, apologies...anyone know how to get this to display properly?......it'll be worth it when I figure it out, bloomin' hilarious.

EDIT: doh!

[Event "Club Championship"]
    [Site "Kirkwall"]
    [Date "2015.04.02"]
    [Round "5"]
    [White "T S"]
    [Black "S M"]
    [Result "0-1"]

2. e4
    Moves
    11 Apr '15 14:581 edit
    Hi Smeg,

You should have sent me the game - this is blog material.
    White misses the Rook & Knight back rank drawing pattern with mate
    by a Knight in one corner. Mate with a Rook in the other.
    (I've played this Knight and Rook draw in an OTB game.)

I've seen another pattern that also draws.

Whilst playing this out on my viewer I noticed the White b5 pawn.
    It appears there are two ways to draw.

3. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    11 Apr '15 15:09
    Thanks to Stu for posting the game and to Greenpawn for the chess lesson on the rook and knight draw. I've seen quite strong and experienced players miss that drawing idea in OTB games, just because they've never seen it before and so aren't looking for it!
  4. Joined
    12 Jun '13
    Moves
    11 Apr '15 16:005 edits
    Some context, time control was 75m for 30 moves.

At move 24 black has 3m on the clock & reached the control with a couple of seconds to spare....ok, ok, I'm making excuses.

white sealed the pretty obvious 31. Ra7

For the following week's resumption I messed around with some ideas bases on hxg3, not daring to hope etc, blah blah blah.

Obviously my move 48 is insane, but things have been a wee bit mental for a while anyways

Greenpawn, thank you so much, I'm not worthy!! 😀
  5. Joined
    12 Jun '13
    Moves
    24 Apr '15 08:412 edits
    Another 'great escape' last night too, must be my lucky month!

W: RD
    B: Smeg
    Orkney Club Championship

13....f5? Well I've gotta do something, prefer a quick and bloody end to being suffocated to death for 30+ moves. Maybe he'll nick the pawn instead of Ng5 & give me half a chance?
  6. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    24 Apr '15 14:412 edits
    3. ... g6 was horrible. As a general rule, playing g6 and e6 early on (or g3 and e3 if White) is a bad idea in the opening because it leaves holes in your position which your opponent can take advantage of. Better to leave the e pawn back for a few moves until after you've castled. I think grabbing a pawn was a poor option for White, I would have done something like 6. Qe2 and then castled long.

If you like kingside fianchettoed bishops against 1.d4, then have a look at the Kings Indian Defence or perhaps the Grünfeld. The latter is currently Caruana's main weapon against 1.d4 - take a look at some of his games in the Gashimov Memorial tournament:
    http://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2015-gashmem
  7. Joined
    12 Jun '13
    Moves
    24 Apr '15 14:48
    Thanks Data Fly, yes is was a ghastly move indeed . . . I'm thinking Nf6, e6 & b6 in future perhaps, but cheers for the link I will check it out tonight.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree