1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 12:521 edit
    You can keep your internet.

What was broke with the internet again? Why did the FCC need to take it over?
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 13:30
    Originally posted by whodey

I'm stealing this from a post in a thread on Red Reporter by jch24 (hope he/she doesn't mind):

The government didn’t take control of the internet. What the government did was stop the mega-ISPs from taking control of the internet. By reclassifying ISPs and mobile data carriers as public utilities the FCC stopped the ridiculous idea of "fast lane" internet. They’re already screwing Netflix and thereby screwing us by extorting them into paying for what should be normal speeds.

If they had gotten their way, broadband plans would have been reclassified. Imagine having to choose from "email", "video", and "streaming" plans instead of a plan based on raw speed. It shouldn’t matter if I’m streaming a movie or looking at hentai pictures, I’ve paid for 40mbps up front, just give it to me. This would be like people who are driving to Wal Mart being allowed to go 70 mph on the interstate while people driving to Kroger only being allowed to go 50mph, all because Wal Mart slipped the guys who built the interstate some money on the side.

What Comcast & Verizon have done over the last 20 years is [expletive deleted] criminal. They’ve received hundreds of billions of dollars under the guise of it being needed to build out a fiber optic infrastructure but the funny thing is they stopped building out the infrastructure almost immediately after starting to receive those funds. Why you ask? Because they realized nothing REQUIRED them to use that money for its intended purpose.

You wanna talk about red flags? Look at Austin and Kansas City’s ISPs. Magically, speeds went up and prices went down as soon as Google rolled out their fiber offering.

By the way, what constitutes mainstream media to you? That term gets thrown around a lot and I hate it because most people only use it to discredit a media outlet that disagrees with their views.

Lastly, I’m not even gonna bother touching the "restricting free speech" tinfoil hat [BS].

Some Reds fan are pretty smart.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 13:351 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I'm stealing this from a post in a thread on Red Reporter by jch24 (hope he/she doesn't mind):

The government didn’t take control of the internet. What the government did was stop the mega-ISPs from taking control of the internet. By reclassifying ISPs and mobile data carriers as public utilities the FCC stopped the ridiculous idea of "fast lane" inte ...[text shortened]... er touching the "restricting free speech" tinfoil hat [BS].

Some Reds fan are pretty smart.
    So essentially they fixed it like they did health care.

Do you think it was good to be done via a small number of regulators or should laws actually go through Congress in order for both sides of the debate to be heard and for people to vote for or against?

Some say that this opens the door to further regulation and, as crazy as this may sound, some think that the government may want to use it to tax us further.

I know the idea sounds outrageously conspiratorial. 🙄
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 13:44
    So essentially they fixed it like they did health care.

Do you think it was good to be done via a small number of regulators or should laws actually go through Congress in order for both sides of the debate to be heard and for people to vote for or against?

Some say that this opens the door to further regulation and, as crazy as this may sound, some thi ...[text shortened]... may want to use it to tax us further.

I know the idea sounds outrageously conspiratorial. 🙄
    It's useless responding to you, so I don't think I'll bother anymore.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 13:48
    It's useless responding to you, so I don't think I'll bother anymore.
    Why talk to anyone? Just continue to support a government that continues to bypass the democratic process of passing laws and ignore everyone that gets upset about it.

After all, you can't vote against any of them, so why give a damn?
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 14:10
    If they had gotten their way, broadband plans would have been reclassified. Imagine having to choose from "email", "video", and "streaming" plans instead of a plan based on raw speed.
    So basically like the cell phone companies that charge differently for SMS, voice and data. And don't get me started on the roaming ripoff.

I wonder what will happen when voice over data exceeds standard voice on cell phones (it should happen within the next two years).
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 15:52

For one, it was increasingly (c)Google(tm).

Having been present on the net before Google ever existed, I do not like this. The FCC may be imperfect, but the stock market is worse.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 16:401 edit
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    For one, it was increasingly (c)Google(tm).

Having been present on the net before Google ever existed, I do not like this. The FCC may be imperfect, but the stock market is worse.
    Perhaps government will require you to buy internet service from corporations like they do health care now.

That would be progressive nirvana.

Before this hit the news, I never heard anyone complain about internet service?

Where are the dying whales to save that are typically associated with Progressive causes? There does not seem to be any.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree