1. Joined
    16 Jan '15
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 21:40
    Hello:

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a software product that contains instruction on basic strategies. I am a beginner player and would like to get a bigger picture of the game.

Thanks!
  2. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 22:48
    One for almost complete beginners is "Learn to Play Chess with Fritz and Chesster". I've heard good things about it, though I've never tried it myself.
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '15
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 22:54
    ok thanks
  4. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    22 Jan '15 23:58
    Chessmaster has some nice tutorials and exercises.

Also chesstempo.com is good for tactics training.
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '15
    Moves
    23 Jan '15 17:31
    Thanks...appreciate it!
  6. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    23 Jan '15 19:11
    Originally posted by Higgs
    Hello:

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a software product that contains instruction on basic strategies. I am a beginner player and would like to get a bigger picture of the game.

Thanks!
    type "lecture with gm varuzhan akobian" into google.
    There's lot's of free you tube lectures in there from basic strategies to tactics
  7. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    23 Jan '15 19:45
    Originally posted by venda
    type "lecture with gm varuzhan akobian" into google.
    There's lot's of free you tube lectures in there from basic strategies to tactics
    And Yasser Seirawan also, I think they've both done lectures for the St. Louis chess club,
    they both speak in an easy to understand manner, and much of their content is for beginners-intermediate.

They have their own channel on Youtube so you can just explore and dig up whatever takes your fancy:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/STLChessClub/videos

This is a good place to start.

I wouldn't think about spending money on any software or chess tutorials/books until you really consider taking the game more seriously.

Best of luck!
  8. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    24 Jan '15 01:35
    even me, I found a good advice for me both lecturers, I get stuck in the 1300-1400 category. maybe this books are going to help me to break "the wall"
  9. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Jan '15 22:17
    Does anyone use http://www.chessgames.com videos for training?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree