1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 13:37
    It didn't make any sense. Why would North Korea use a valuable hacking tool to pry open Sony? Not Rand Corporation or Lockheed Martin, but a mere movie company. I just didn't get it.

But now Obama is using it as a reason to attack and call it a proportional response. It all makes sense now.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 14:07
    Glad to hear you found a way to sort it out.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 14:49
    Originally posted by JS357
    Glad to hear you found a way to sort it out.
    Thanks. The USA has a superior hacking force nobody would dare challenge. It is just common sense.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 14:53
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Thanks. The USA has a superior hacking force nobody would dare challenge. It is just common sense.
    I have a superior hacking cough.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 16:20
    Because North Korea has always acted in a completely rational manner...
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 16:45
    Originally posted by sh76
    Because North Korea has always acted in a completely rational manner...
    No, the USA has always portrayed NK as irrational. That does not make them irrational. If bowing to the empire makes nations rational what makes them irrational? Think my friend. Observe the double standards.
  7. Garner, NC
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 20:10
    No, the USA has always portrayed NK as irrational. That does not make them irrational. If bowing to the empire makes nations rational what makes them irrational? Think my friend. Observe the double standards.
    Possibly, Lockheed Martin has different security mechanisms than Sony.

Having the ability to hack Sony's network does not necessarily mean one has the ability to hack Lockheed Martin. From the limits of what you and I know, it seems very plausible that NK hacked Sony because they could, and did hack Lockheed because they couldn't. Or perhaps they have hacked Lockheed Martin but have not yet revealed it to anyone.

And we can always be open to the possibility that the US has portrayed North Korea as more oppressive and irrational than it actually is. But to suppose that this is not mostly true stretches credulity.
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 22:45
    Originally posted by techsouth
    Possibly, Lockheed Martin has different security mechanisms than Sony.

Having the ability to hack Sony's network does not necessarily mean one has the ability to hack Lockheed Martin. From the limits of what you and I know, it seems very plausible that NK hacked Sony because they could, and did hack Lockheed because they couldn't. Or perhaps they have ...[text shortened]... rrational than it actually is. But to suppose that this is not mostly true stretches credulity.
    China is just as bad as North Korea. That is the double standard. I'm not suggesting NK is not oppressive, just that other nations are too and the USA ignores their crap.

To suggest that Kim feels that threatened by a movie is kind of silly. I'm not saying he likes being portrayed as evil, nobody does, but to spend a lot of money to hack Sony doesn't make a lot of sense.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 23:11

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    19 Dec '14 23:13
    It is possible that North Korea does feel especially threatened by a film mocking their illustrious leader, perhaps out of fear that he will find someone close to hand to blame or to take out his rage on, so that there is an urgent need to divert his anger outwards. It is also possible that their illustrious leader feels threatened by it. If one were to form the hypothesis that he had a narcissistic personality then he might well experience any conflict with his absurd self image as an existential threat and vent his anxiety in the form of narcissistic rage. Trying to imagine how such a personality would respond when he learns first that Hollywood is making a film about him and than, horror, that it is an insulting one, the only possible reaction is going to be pretty strong. A narcissist cannot bear the idea of being humiliated in public - it would be psychologically intolerable.
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 Dec '14 00:09
    Originally posted by finnegan
    It is possible that North Korea does feel especially threatened by a film mocking their illustrious leader, perhaps out of fear that he will find someone close to hand to blame or to take out his rage on, so that there is an urgent need to divert his anger outwards. It is also possible that their illustrious leader feels threatened by it. If one were to fo ...[text shortened]... st cannot bear the idea of being humiliated in public - it would be psychologically intolerable.
    I find your analysis rational and convincing.
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 Dec '14 00:11
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    How do North Koreans get to stay in China, after avoiding the border guards? Is there a black market in ID cards allowing them to work? Or do they have to live "off the grid"?
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Dec '14 00:17
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Duchess is again showing her ignorance to economic matters. China has a better economy than the DPRK. It in no way suggests people are fleeing to China because they think China is less oppressive. Many don't even intend to stay in China when they flee DPRK. Most flee to China and keep running until they get to South Korea. Not that South Korea is known for their liberal laws. If you get caught there with a little cannabis guess how long you will spend in prison. The economy is much better though. That alone is motivation to go there.

It is the economy stupid.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Dec '14 00:28

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Dec '14 00:30
    Originally posted by finnegan
    It is possible that North Korea does feel especially threatened by a film mocking their illustrious leader, perhaps out of fear that he will find someone close to hand to blame or to take out his rage on, so that there is an urgent need to divert his anger outwards. It is also possible that their illustrious leader feels threatened by it. If one were to fo ...[text shortened]... st cannot bear the idea of being humiliated in public - it would be psychologically intolerable.
    Team America did not provoke such a response. Are you saying Un is more sensitive than his father was? Funny how the son is just as irrational as his father was according to the news media. Is it hereditary?

North Korea denies it is responsible for the cyber attack. I don't think Un had anything to do with it. Not because he is denying it, but because a cyber war with the USA is not in his interest. Unlike sh76, I do not believe Un is irrational at all. People who manage to hold onto power do so because they are rational. They make rational decisions to stay in power. Anybody who suggests otherwise is, well...irrational.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree